Thursday, February 02, 2006

Women Rockers

Going to visit Grandma today...my cold has finally died down enough to make me feel secure I won't be giving her a fatal illness. She's been settling in, now that she's back at home, and like any person used to living on her own, pushing the boundaries of what she's been told not to do. Sigh. Just like a kid. Or a particularly ornery girlfriend (I'll spare you the mythology...)

Getting some very positive feedback on some of my recent works, that's always good...and I note that both the number of people who track my new works on AuthorsDen and the number of people who subscribe to my newsletter are up...as well as hits at the website.

My friend Alan called the other day...he's a jack of many trades, one of which is a guitar teacher...he was telling me he likes to expose his students to the classics...like "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan. He said that recently, for one student, he played him the Dylan original, then the Jimi Hendrix remake...then he pulled out the movie "Bandits" that I had loaned him (not the Billy Bob Thornton-Bruce Willis-Cate Blanchette film, a slightly older German film about a group of hardened young women in jail who form their own band, then break out, only to find their ability to stay on the run compromised by the publicity surrounding their first CD. The soundtrack is fantastic).

The film opens with their rendition of "...Watchtower" and it definitely kicks. Alan said his student was stunned. I don't think many really think about women as rockers...but you look at the traditions of Janis Joplin, Suzi Quattro, "Fanny", Stevie Nicks, Ellen Foley (solo work and she was the female voice on Meatloaf's "Paradise By The DashBoard Light") and Heart, as well as up and coming super "Led Zeppelin" tribute band "Lez Zeppelin" (cute, no? here's a picture of them), and you know women can kick with the bad boys.

I, personally, find competence at anything very sexy.

Today is edit day for the week's show...then I have to rip my brain out, dust it with dried toadstools and force myself to a new level to complete the twain Valentine's Day Shows.

By the way, still not too late to order some of my books for Valentine's Day presents. Just a suggestion.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved