Thursday, February 23, 2006

The genii strikes again

Truly strange day. Truly, truly strange day.

Earlier in the day I had spoken with my old friend Alan, and he was wound up over the lack of a worthy peer group in the area. I wouldn't disagree for the world, but let's not get off the case. He stated, epmpatically, he'd be much happier if he could reconnect with our contemporaries we'd lost track of.

Later in the day I went to the Mall with him, and as he was standing in line at the Mountaineer Brunch, I glaned in a nearby art gallery.

And saw a familiar face.

I stepped over to Alan and said I had just seen So-and-So (a young woman we had gone to high shool with, and neither of us had seen in a multiplicity of decades).

He asked "Are you sure?"

I pointed her out, without being obvious. He looked and said "That's not her."

After he decided not to grab something to eat, I noticed the lady in question again in the gallery, so I steered us into there. I again insisted it was her, Alan disagreed. I also noted that the section of photographs she had been standing in front of actually bore the credits of a photographer who had the same name as yet another fellow contemporary, unseen for a few years.

Finally, I pointed out that coincidences, so Alan walked up to her and asked her "Are you So and So?"

She beamed and said "Alan!"

Moral of the story...don't make wishes in my presence unless you want them to come true. It's the magic gloves. I can't save myself, but weird coincidences happen for those in my presence. I am the genii an ex lover used to call me.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved