Saturday, February 11, 2006

Valentine's Day plans?

There's an old saying amongst partiers that "New Years Eve is for amateurs". I don't know how true that is, but in the spirit of those remarks, in my book, Valentine's Day is for amateurs.

I don't plan to go out that evening, I don't have a reading that night (West Virginia poet laureate Irene McKinney is coming to speak at the university that evening, and God help me I don't ever try to conflict with other poets...besides, with student fees paying the publicity for her appearance, I'd be obliterated...and I like her work. Tag suggested I attend incognito. Not a prayer. All I need is to be recognized and I'll be accused of trying to steal her thunder, and that's not what I am about. I am my own voice, she is her own, and I respect that. Just as Tag writes things I could never, I write things he could not. It is a partnership of equals, as any artistic teamwork should be. Well, unless you're the tracer. (A sly tip of my hat to "Chasing Amy"))

I may do something on the global scale, where my network of readers can dilute it...but to actually stick my head out there, no thanks...I have too much to do as is and the distraction of a hastily arranged event would not suit me. So, I am sitting still and enjoying my universe.

Besides, I am working on something...something new. I've made my earnest attempts to work with the locals and found them unsatisfying, hey don't know where to place me, in the subculture, so I am an oddity. I don't resent that...heck, it took me aeons to figure myself out and I'm with me 24 hours a day, most of the time. But the effort to integrate is tiring and the results have been unsatisfying, like a steady that won't even hold hands on the third date.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved