Saturday, February 04, 2006

Reviewing Last Night's Recordings

Just going over the details from last night's recordings...found some interesting (to me) bits, bots and buts of notice...

running time for (raw) readings (readings w/out edits or musical framework) format MM:SS, rounded to nearest ten:

01:10 A Kiss is an Act of Bravery
01:20 Tread Softly
01:20 Soubrette (my heart blossoms)
01:30 Sacred Smile
01:40 The Unicorns
01:40 Monument
02:00 Damascus, Movement Three
02:40 The Patchwork Skirt of My Love
02:40 We Owe Debt to Memory
05:00 Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion

21:00 Total run time for the raw readings, Track A

(yes, twenty one minutes sans music, intros or extros, without creative sound editing to extend or stabilize breaks and rhythm...I was expecting 15...looks like thirty minutes is doable, now the erotic reads really have me concerned, they may be longer)

I did not realize that 'Gods was nearly twice as long as even 'Patchwork and 'Memory.

On third listen I found two microphone breath pops, but I am leaving them in, as the overall recordings were great and the pop merely adds to the organic quality of the reads.

I heard a strange, ironic inflection in one of the poems, as I read it. I wonder what I was thinking or feeling or trying to express. I think I was trying to tell myself something, in the context of the work and the lines inflected, the message seems to be "everything is okay...don't dwell on the past".

I have to be meticulous in choosing which piece to open with. Gotta grab the audience by the heart and gently squeeze (this being the romantic track...on Track B, the erotic one, I have to grab a bit lower and the motion is less of a squeeze than a massage).

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved