Saturday, February 25, 2006

Don Knotts, you will be missed

Don Knotts, inarguably Morgantown, West Virginia's most famous export so far, has passed away. He was 81. A veteran of stage, screen and film, he was an icon of television's early years and several family-oriented comedy films.

I knew people who knew him and was honored to appear in the AEI's "Art&Soul" book alongside him last year. I was disappointed when health reasons forced him cancelling his appearance at last year's Arts Festival in Morgantown.

for Don

make us laugh, a gentle laugh
aware of our own frailty.
make us shed a gentle tear
aware of our mortality.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

Okay, Deputy Fife, time to hang up your guns, your job is done.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed hearing about Don Knotts' passing. I used to love watching him as a child.

I also read your "Goddess Walks" poem, William. Since you are one of the few people who does NOT call me "Goddess" these days or refer to my "goddess" persona, I will simply say that the poem is a beautiful, passionate write of longing. Thanks to The DaVinci Code, everyone wants to be a goddess lately. Hmmmm. But some of us, like you, William, were making references to goddesses long before that book became popular.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved