Sunday, February 19, 2006

1 degree fahrenheit

That's the temperature outside. 1 degree fahrenheit. My element. I'm the kind of person who likes to go outisde in shorts when the wind chill is zero...it wakes you up and seems to stir a part of the mind and soul that nothing else does.

Bard dragon? Frost dragon. Favorite X-Man? Iceman (in the comics). Love the cold. Aside from the loss of pretty skin viewing factor, I wish they'd do a Survivor in the snowy mountains. Let's see if they can really survive. Last person with all ten fingers and toes wins.

Tag tells me the Irene McInney reading on Tuesday went well. For those of you not keeping track, Ms. McKinney is West Virginia's Poet Laureate, and a damn fine poet in her own right (I add that as many state poet laureates are "Who knows who" titles and not associated with excellence in their field. Come to think of it, a lot in this life is that way. As an old business acquaintance of my mine always says "Networking is more importance than competence." He makes a good living at it. Maybe I shouldn't be such a crusty old cuss? Well, in answer to a question that was asked the other day, do I aspire to that post, Poet Laureate? Not really. There are those who call me the Poet Laureate of the Internet, which is good enough for me...besides the old Writers Club joke about me being the "poet Lauri ate" (the original Panther's name) comes back too readily.)

I have five goals for the next four weeks, and I will report on the, from time to time, here in the blog.

1. Find a used but usable copy of both Myth II and Myth III for my son, Elric. His CD for Myth II has a crack in it, and he also would like to find Myth III. He's running an iMac...anyone out there have an old one laying around? Get in touch with me.

2. Find a cover model (or cover design) for THEOCRICIDE that I like. I'v seen a few models, the only one that really is a good choice, so far, has dropped from sight...which is a bummer. If you are or know a model who is trying to break in, a book cover is not a bad place to start.

3. Book four paid readings, anywhere in the US, for the period of August 16-September 15 of this year. Want me to show, let me know. Give me a lead or a lock, I'm negotiable.

4. Set at least five readings in schools or libraries for National Poetry Month. In an iaeal world, local, but I am willing to wander a bit...have a high school, college or public library that might put up with me? Srop me a line...I'm reasonable, and I find the fact that schools tend to forget National Poetry Motnh only second to the fact that I know schools that do nothing for Black History Month as offensive to my concept of what school is about. Maybe I should rattle the State Board of Education, I've spoke before them before, maybe they can give me a leg up in contacts. The insularity of most institutions in this state undermines developing new venues.

5. Write at least 100 good works. That's not so much to ask. From me.

Gotta go.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved