Friday, February 03, 2006

Prince, Steve Martin and a new baby...and a brutal recording session

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's Saturday Night Live (SNL)...Steve Martin is hosting (one of a handful of people I actually admire, his LA Story sustains me away from my beloved city of angels) and Prince is the musical guest. Not only am I great lover of the Purple One's works, I also am hoping that Fred Armisen trots out his Prince impression (ever see his "Prince Show" celebrity talk show satire? Genius.)...it would be interesting to see those two on stage together, like when Belushi did Joe Cocker alongside the real deal.

I have finished laying down the vocals for Track A, the romantic works, for the podcasts next week. Damn near killed me, on an emotional level. But I did it. Of the ten, I think the one that took the most out of me was "Damascus, Movement Three" for obvious readings, but I think I stepped up to it and hit it solidly, adding some fresh inflection to it, as well as noticeably to "Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion:" that will lead into new intepretations.

Somewhere along the way, while recording, I was overcome with a great awareness that these works are my legacy, that a hundred years from now this will be the lens through which people view me and those I have touched and been touched by. It was an overwhelming feeling. A sense of great responsibility and great joy. Thanks God.

Got word this evening that my baby brother Mark and his wife, Denise, are expecting again. I commented that I guess now I have to step up (well, if I do remarry, which is likely, and it is to someone who wants kids, which is possible...) as I do have a debt to the gene pool. Tomorrow is Mark's 40th birthday, the baby is due in late August...

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved