Tuesday, February 28, 2006

It's a tangle

Okay, let's add Louisville, Kentucky, to the August Book Tour.

Hey, we got a little snow here last night, but what was worse was the timing and the fact it was falling on roads that were already wet...result, snow on ice just after dark, with the WVU-PITT basketball game just getting over. Not a pretty picture.

Okay, clearing my head, clearing my schedule, getting the gears engaged.

What do you do when you have someone stuck in your head and you can't seem to dislodge them?

No, not her.

No, definitely not that woman, either.

Stop guessing. I'm not talking. I'm even a little surprised (talk about the classic "from an unexpected corner" and NO, it isn't her, either.)

Confession: I've always been very awkward in person with women, slowed by my own innate shyness (yes, I know, you've read "Penetralia". Well, good for you.) The truth is, part of why I started writing is because I alwyas been shy in that arena, needing a cast iron case to en-couer-rage me to do anything more than stand on the sidelines and mumble. It's just acquired instinct from years of being treated badly...you kick a dog long enough and he comes to believe he deserves to be kicked.

Maybe I should just focus on the books and the tours and maybe, maybe, she will notice me or a well-meaning friend will play matchmaker. (laughs) There are days I make Woody Allen look like Casanova.

The other problem is I over-analyze. Twenty reasons for this, ten possibilities there, a while spectrum of pitfalls. Past experiences of mine and others, leading me to inescapable conclusions. It's a zoo up there (pointing to cranium). No, really, a zoo. All sorts of creatures running around, making strange noises and throwing poo at one another. Someone needs to clean up that mess.

Don't look at me.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved