Thursday, February 02, 2006

Subtext, Pretext and Previewing the Texts

Whilst sitting here, earbuds in (right now Dave Matthew's devastating "Crash Into Me"), seeking an emotional level suitable for powering up the microphone and finishing up this week's podcast, I hit upon a notion regarding next week's show...that I might actually explain a few things regarding the works being recorded...so, here goes.

Track A: (A kiss is an Act of Bravery)

The Unicorns
Okay. let's start with the king of my romantic poems. Until very recently, this work dominated any discussion or poll of my romantic works, and deservedly so. Subtle craftsmanship and beautiful, honorific words, celebrating the innocence that transcends sexuality. I was 18 when I wrote this, 18 and wiser than I should have been. Psyche midwifed this work, I composed it on her typewriter in her study as she sat on the sofa, studying for class. I think it was the first poem I ever wrote that upon completion I was shocked by what had come out of me. It's like cutting your finger and bleeding strawberry syrup.
The Patchwork Skirt of My Love
Unofficially the 50th poem of "The Goldenheart Cycles", this is the poem that unseated "The Unicorns". A blend of inspirations, not the least being the Goldenheart herself, plus a beautiful young woman I saw wearing a peasant blouse and patchwork skirt as she drifted down the street in Los Angeles. There's a thread of bitterness under it, a sorrow of having not yet found that perfect love.
Monument
When called on to let it all out, to step up to my reputation at the Southern Poet's Reading Tour at the Fairhope Arts Center in 1997, this is how I brought the alchemy and the amomancy. I left my prepared works on my chair, put on my shades, strode to the front of the room and recited this work I'd written to Psyche (in 1973, within days of the scripting of "The Unicorns"). By the end of the read I'd experienced a catharsis I'd never before known, and I left the hall in tears and trembling. Maybe the best "read" I'd ever given.
We Owe Debt to Memory
"...and those who bear the ark." I actually prefer this ode to past lovers, past lives, and those who gave their hearts on altars long forgotten over "...Patchwork...". The year after that poem won the Preditor and Editors Readers Poll, this one finished in the top five. A warning, of sorts, to those who want into my life but can't live at the temperatures I dwell.
Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion
I don't recall the circumstances of this poem's birthing, almost as if it has always been a part of me. In simpler terms and commoner tongue, it reminds us all that one day our stories will be legends or less, not the flesh and blood we are today...but we are the love gods, regardless.
Sacred Smile
A gentle expression to a lover whose happiness meant the world to me. Ironic in that mine was not very important to her, but that's part of love, daring to carry an unbalanced load over the narrow bridges of our hearts. Dare to love, unconditionally.
Tread Softly
Another ancient work, from the same sessions that yielded "The Unicorns" and "Monument" (and hundreds others). I have heard a hundred tales from friends and strangers of this poem being used as a seduction. I once refused to allow a 16 year old niece to include this poem in a letter to her boyfriend, knowing the power it has over hearts (and hormones) of men.
Damascus III
Written in 1998, celebrating love from an unexpected quarter, hopeful that this euphoria would mean, not a numbing of the pain for a season, but a cure to the silence. Love with hope
Soubrette
A gentle vision, from 1998, of the scent of a young woman's perfume. I can smell it every time I read this poem.
A Kiss is an Act of Bravery
Her recent reading of this for my podcasts made me re-appreciate this work from The Selke's Cycles. Yes, a kiss is an act of bravery. 9 times out of ten I have not made the first move in a relationship, coward that I am, but when the couer rage is there, there is an elegance to the fear and the reward.


Track B: (I will wake you, tonight)

A Summoned Fire (Pink Jade)
One of the cornerstones of the curious "Pink Jade" works. An invocation and invitation to barter love for love, passion for passion, flesh for flesh. Hungry and yet, slightly restrained.
Warm Breath Stirs Soft Flesh (Pink Jade)
Also from those mysterious works, written between 2003 and 2004. My breath on your skin, warm, stirring and exciting.
Touch (Pink Jade)
Describing the invitation and consequences of a single touch and all the touches that cascade from there.
Possession
The Mad Gypsy inspired this brisant gasp of a poem, speaking of both metaphysical and physical ravishing.
Wine
I've always been a "leg man" and the Mad Gypsy, Karla, snapped this out of me, with her legs and how she wrapped them around me. Read or listen to this in that subtext and it takes on a whole new meaning.
Tracery (Pink Jade)
Another of the works for 'Jade. All about self control and the touching of flesh to flesh, the curve of skin, the need to be consumed.
Jasmine and Plumeria (Pink Jade)
The rights scents set the mood and warm oils, infused with those scents, can be incredible for massaging.
I Will Wake You, Tonight
Laying next to my ex-wife, I wrote this as she slept, about the blurring of lines between gentle affection and passion. About the need to express and to be loved.
The Satyr's Suit
A direct and to the point seduction...the line "I will earn your memory" is often remarked on. This was written to Abstra, during my recent period of romantic withdrawal...what's that? An alarm clock in the distance?
How Would You Have Me Touch You?
Try reading this poem to a lover...or a would be lover. If you don't make love that night, dig a hole and bury them...you've been romancing a corpse. A 2004 ode to my yet unknown goddess. Wait for me, love.

There you have it, a few comments, some flip, some historical, some onscure, but that's just one aspect of my poetic license. Make sure to swing by and listen to the readings next week.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved