Thursday, May 12, 2005

online mismatchmaking

One of the most amusing games of late I have been playing is going on an online personals site and asking for what I want.
Not necessarily what I need, but what I want.

Then I look through the results, the results being those who match my criteria, and read their criteria...argh!

This one: Almost perfect match for me...but...she wants someone taller, thinner and younger.
Okay, this one: Taller, thinner, younger.
Maybe this one: Taller, thinner, younger and a different religion and no gray hair (I started turning when I was 17).

I can fix the thinner...been working on that...taller is a bit tougher, and I am not going to lie about my age just to meet someone interesting. So, I guess I'll just let the month run and shut it off. It was a noble experiment, nonetheless.

The truth of the matter is that you are most likely to find someone when you aren't looking for them. I was already engaged to someone else when I met my first wife. My second wife, well, she was a lesbian when I met her. So, weird things happen.

Okay, candidate #4....She's 44, but only wants to meet men 35 and younger. Well, you can't blame her, most men are like that...

The other advantage to blundering into people is that, if I had to describe my best relationships, they came from an unexpected quarter, for both me and them...we met by random chance, with no expectations of anything - and something happened. Whether it was a slow melt or a spark, something happened. And that's good...I sometimes go to movies I know nothing about...just to be pleasantly (or, sometimes, unpleasantly) surprised. If you have to read all the reviews of all the films of one genre (the only one you'll go to see) and then go to the official website to study stills and plot summaries (or even play the video game) then you are not very adventurous (some people live lives, others watch them on TV)...

Candidate #5...I think I know her...and that's a very old picture.

Such is life...I think I'll follow Elayne Boosler's old advice. She'd been with the same guy forever, then they broke up. She had a date a few weeks later and all her friends marvelled "How did you do that?" And she said "I left my house."

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved