Wednesday, August 17, 2005

surviving the read and prospering

The reading/talk went well and solidifed me with both the local Visitors/Convention Bureau and AEI.

I had a good time and I actually learned a lot...some of these works were pieces I had not ever performed in public (The Reich of Self Discipline from The Compleat Panther Cycles, for instance) or were works that have taken on a new meaning in months recent (Damascus, Movement 3, now with added irony).

I did reveal when my next book is coming out. What? You want to know? Ask someone who was there.

Friday I am one of the guests fo the Malt on the Mon soiree, and told the AEI people that if any of the young women get too drunk to drive home, taste testing Scotch, they can depend on me to be the designated driver (don't fret, ask any of my ex lovers or former wives, I won't even sleep with my wife if she's been drinking...)

Anyway, that's all over...phew.

Jack Thompson at the Visitors Bureau and I are close to working out a deal for me to host ghost tours of Morgantown starting in September, through Halloween. It creates added stress on my schedule, but considering the woeful lack of respect most regular jobs in this area carry, I'm not too worried about the "career" implications...I'm already half doomed by the fact everyone I work for has less experience than I do...they don't like that, even if you keep your mouth shut.

I have considered applying for the Executive Director slots at AEI or Arts Mon, both of which have recently opened, but figure my lack of popularity with the local media would be a real minus.

Sigh.

Okay, I am ready to re-enter the dating pool...although there is one person whose opinion and permission I would like to ask on that. And no, it isn't a former wife. It's a former lover.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved