Saturday, August 13, 2005

reading prep and the essence of self-doubt

I'm thinking out loud here, so if you have any feedback, feel free to drop me a note at williamfdevault@cityoflegends.com or here...

I'm working on my readbook for the August 17th gig...20 poems...I've already pretty much settled on them, but am going over them right now, trying to decide how to prepare to do each one (this may change due to whim or women)...

• I Will Walk These Streets Again: This one opens the show. I need to do it very openly, not too arch, but with some passion and thoughtfulness.
• Sonnet: A Vintage Passion: Despite the theme, remembrance of teenage sex, this one neds to be done reverentially. As it is a sonnet, I need to be careful to make sure it flows and doesn't come across too structured.
• First Date Blues: A sense of humour. Yes. Self-effacing. It will be interesting if any of the women I am referring to in this work are actually in the audience, which is possible.
• Local Talent: Here's one for the tourist board to be happy with. I need to do this with life, but not so much as to seem sappy.
• Damascus, Movement 3: Gently, passionately, and without the sense of irony that this work, in retrospect, must provide. It was an illusion, again.
• The Darker Angels: Edgy, this is the first chance to show some of the ruby-blue metal. Suggest it, but don't brandish it, too much...save that for later.
• Cithara Song, Strummed Lightly as the Sun Leaps the Horizon: Had I known then what I know now, I would've followed her from the restaurant. But this needs to be a celebration of the moment of my attraction to her and the possibiltiies suggested by her kiss. She re-entered my life at my most vulnerable moment, the summer of 1998. I made my choice, I do not regret that choice. I think I can take some resolve from the fact that, when the chips were down, I showed character and faith and commitment. Damn it, I bet the wrong horse, it seems.
• From Out of the City: Now we get to bring the thunder. The prophetic tone of this piece (and the rumours that it was about September 11, even though it was written years before the incident) gives me a chance to bring it.
• Horizon: Sigh. I tend to sometimes overwork this piece in readings. I need to be careful, but let it flow.
• Hold You: Perhaps the most nakedly (heh heh heh I said naked) sentimental piece in this set. I need to adopt a seductive, conversational tone. Almost like it is my side of a discussion.
• The Fifth Song of the Amomancer: Maybe too grand for the venue...but, screw it, it is one of my best recent works and if the audience is unappreciative, it does not reflect on me, but on them. I will try to bring this one to life with a more "spoken word" rhythm, like Larry Jaffe at his best. (Hey, Larry, I plugged you...now smile)
• I Rained Poetry: This is the litmus test of if I am in the right space. I do this right and the heavens will open, I do this wrong and the atomic crickets will be heard for miles. Damn, I was I had Nancy or Ann or Karla to lean on, Wednesday.
• Soubrette: Short, eloquent, maybe a bit too elegant for the crowd I am anticipating (more Sandburg than Blake or Shelley). I need to avoid being too dreamy in my delivery, but still invoke the ethereality of this work.
• Feasting on Memory: I think a little body language will work well with this one, illustrating it as I go. I think this one shall be fun to do.
• The Patchwork Skirt of My Love: Wow. This one and "Love Gods" back to back. I'm screwed. And not in the nice, sweaty middle of the night with incense and silk way. This will require a lot from mi solo cajone. I'll get through it by stepping up to it.
• Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion: Here is the focus mark...to do this poem just I will need to be somewhere else, out of body, out of room, out of mind...I may turn lose some darker energies on this one and see what they weave.
• PC73: The Reich of Self-Discipline: I've never performed this one before. Great sorrow and intellect behind this one. I shall probably weep.
• PC13: The Panther on the Beach: And then I have to do a villanelle. Oh joy. This one is the leading contender for "I think I'll wimp out and substitute less tripping"...When I hear it in my head, it needs a Greek chorus. Damn Greek choruses, never one around when you need one.
• PC65: The Common Tongue: This one will probably be greeted with looks of dull confusion, but WTF? It makes a point and it is well written. I seem to always end up burning more energy holding back than I would cutting loose.
• PC74: Pride of Authorship: A good capper to the evening. Not perfect, but strong and thoughtful.

Now, I need an encore piece, something to run in if the moment is with me...probably a piece I have committed to memory.

Or maybe...

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved