Friday, August 05, 2005

Interview with the Amomancer: Part I


I got him to agree to not post this weekend, so I could just post at will the sections of this interview before the run up to the Arts Festival in his hometown. Strap in, lube up and rock on.
..............................................................................................

EJ:
Groundrules for this interview?
WFDV:
None. Just remember not to inflict needless pain on others. Me, I'm a big boy.
EJ:
Done. You've put out three books in the past four months, how are you feeling?
WFDV:
Better than I have felt in a decade. I think I have enough energy to last another five decades or so,
EJ:
Happy with the books you put out this year?
WFDV:
Pretty much so. I wasn't expecting The Compleat Panther Cycles to come out so well. Invocato looks, on the surface, like less of a book than it is for the whole packaging behind the 'Cycles, which is regrettable, and The Morgantown Suite Poems is just what it is. It might be ironic if that ends up with I am best remembered for. No, change that: Perverse.
EJ:
You didn't get the cover you wanted for The Compleat Panther Cycles, did you?
WFDV:
No, when the model, Jillian Ann, first signed on we had this one shot of her that when we filtered it just oozed sex. My brother Robert, when he saw the draft cover said "When will I regain the power of speech and will it always affect me that way?" and I was really happy that we had a cover that would stop people dead in their tracks. But we couldn't get a release from the photographer, so we went with a different look and it still came out great. But, to be honest, I kept the original mock up.
EJ:
Does Jillian Ann remind you of the Panther much?
WFDV:
Physically, not in the least aside from the obvious: Bilateral symmetry, mammals, dark hair. The Panther was very slender, almost angular, and her stongest feature by a mile was her eyes. Jillian's is, to me, her mouth.
EJ:
There are rumours that there is something going on between you and the model.
WFDV:
Ludicrous gossipmongering. I've never even actually spoken with her. I cant be on the same planet with a woman without people speculating on the nature of our relationship. That's part of the baggage of being who I am. I know who I've slept with. Not always proud of my record, but it is part of me and part of truth of who I am and what I have done to and for others.
EJ:
So who are you involved with right now?
WFDV:
No one. I am still deciding whether or not to void my vows from my marriage to Ann. She may have dropped hers, but I never said my promises were contingent on her keeping hers. Right now I am not seriously seeing anyone, not sleeping with anyone. I've been celibate for almost precisely a year and a half.
EJ:
How is that going?
WFDV:
I'd be lying if I said it was as much fun as making love every hour on the hour, but as my second marriage disintegrated the physical and emotional intimacy dwindled to the point that it wasn't a great shock to be suddenly alone. I think I miss the emotional intimacy more than the physical, but I've made enough mistakes so far...not in a hurry to invest in another losing proposition.
EJ:
Was that part of your decision to move back to Morgantown?
WFDV:
Actually, yes. I did the math. Presuming demographic equivalence, which of course there can't be, the dating pool is about 1/300th what it was in LA...much less temptation.
EJ:
You still write about love and intimacy, though?
WFDV:
Don't kid yourself. The drives are still there, perhaps stronger than ever, once I unleash them, I've just gotten better at channelling them. To a large extent the three books were me taking my mind off of other things.
EJ:
It must feel weird to still have Ann, your second wife, on the covers of two of your books.
WFDV:
She had her season to revel in my charity and affections. I wish her nothing but good will, a long life with much joy, good health and peace. I just got tired of living by her defines, unable to be myself. I look at the books I've put out this year, the works I've written, and I can reconcile myself to the heartache of ending that marriage.
EJ:
How are the kids?
WFDV:
Well the boys are still with their mother, growing up and growing strong. Dante is a brilliant student, probably smarter than I ever was, which is a strong thing to stay. Elric is the big personality, the charmer. Together they're two of the best things I've ever had a hand in. Their sister is in LA, and she is planning to get married next year. I've met the young man, I like him a lot. I wish him and Peri every joy and a better track record than I've had. Peri is still probably the love of my life so far...I regret some of the paths I took alienated her as much as they did. All I can do is say I am sorry.
EJ:
Let's take a look at some of your more famous and infamous works...
......................................................................
(part II, later this weekend)

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved