Monday, August 22, 2005

Pretty Blonde Girls in My Mother's Newspaper



My Mom contacted me to demand why they put "this kind of picture" (not the one I am showing) on the local newspaper's TV listings section from the Sunday paper (Dominion Post).

Was it a scene of war dead from Iraq? Nope.

Child prostitutes in Thailand? Nope.

Abused wives being paraded on TV for the pocketbooks of talk show hosts? Nope.

It was a picture of the new girl from "Charmed" - Kaley Cuoco. In a gold camisole-type top. When I saw it I barely blinked. Yes, she is pretty, in the OC and Real World sense that the networks think will get young viewers to watch. Having never seen her work, I don't know if she'll fare well in the mix with veteran performers like Rose McGowan, but we'll see.

But, if the WB and the show's producers wanted a stir, I am sure the same scene enacted in my Mother's living room, as she ripped the cover off of the TV section and threw it away, is being re-enacted in conservative living rooms around the nation.

I didn't find the picture offensive, I find the other items I mentioned above far more obscene and offensive, but people also have a right to draw the line when it comes to what comes into their homes, and I respect that.

So, I realize this is a silly little point next to all my other babblings, I just thought you'd like something light for once.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved