Wednesday, August 24, 2005

the names question

Interesting response to one of my posts yesterday, wherein I suggested I sometime post a list of all the names of all the people I have known as friend or lover.

the individual suggested I post just images. problem with that is, many I do not have images of...a strange thing, but my first wife demanded I destroy all my photos of my first love. my daughter destroyed much of my archives of photos during my divorce. my second wife destroyed just about all that is left.

I think, for my own amusement, I will post a few crops of pictures I do have, just to make everyone mental...but most of the people I'd really like to hear from, like Alisha, Kristina, et alia, I do not have pictures of.

except in my mind, where they are safest from both time and prying eyes.

I recall Alisha's flirtatiousness. The sheer energy that radiated from Elizabeth (I wish she had not been my boss' assistant, he had strict rules about fraternization). Kristina's gentle earnestness. Terri's laugh, so overpowering her face would contort and her shoulders shake. Sandy's non-nonsense approach to life and her love of experimenting with new restaurants. Susan's brazen self-doubt and clever essays. Avi's quiet intellect. Maurna's dignity. Chuck's kindness. Brigit's agile mind and mythic beauty. Nancy's laugh and love of knowledge. Jan's fierce loyalty. Dave's ironic wit. Tom's embrace of life. Dolores' smile. Dar's charm and grace under fire.

"I've...seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-Beams...glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All these moments will be lost...in time...like...tears in rain....time to die." - Roy Batty to Rick Deckard, "Blade Runner"

One of the great quotes of all time from a film, one of the great death scenes. I hope I get a good exit line. Like I haven't already had enough?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, well then, maybe it's time to branch out into other artforms and create images of those you cherish?

Or perhaps - if reluctant - to find images that remind you of those people? A portrait, a landscape, still life, an abstract? Photography art?

Smells would be better, of course, but one really can't post smells, now, can one?

Names are, in essence, words - you've already used words (much better ones than mere names) to address memories of them. Images would do much to complete the picture.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved