Sunday, March 05, 2006

Sunday Morning Babble

Ever get a song wedged in your head? Yeah. I remember when Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" took up residence for a few weeks when it first came out. Aggravating, after a while. But right now it's Fallout Boy's "We're Going Down". Catchy pop hook with some rock sensibilities. All in all, not too bad.

The other day, out of morbid curiosity, I dropped my name into Google, in quotes, to see how many hits I got. There was a time when I would see a couple of hundred, maybe even a couple thousand, places where "William F. DeVault" was referenced. My jaw dropped.

Guess how many matches I got on Google? No peeking!

Ready?

25,800, approximately.

Gheez. When did that happen? And why aren't all these webmasters pimping my books?

Got a note the other day from Brigit requesting that when I am declared "Diety of the World" I make sure to give her a job in the palace, as long as it doens't involve cleaning bed pans. Well, the job that comes first to mind for her does involve a bed...

Speaking of beds, where the hell has Selke been for the last few weeks? Harrumph.

Wrote a long dissertation in the blog last night, a reflection on my own insecurities, self-doubts and preconscious motivations. Then, to quote Tom Cochrane "Ripped it up, it didn't say enough, and threw it in a passing field". Brave and crazy, you bet. Besides, who wanted to read a couple of thousand words on why I am a total coward with women? Psyche once said that women sometimes read my sulkiness as emotional retardation. I keep forgetting; it is still, even in these enlightened times, a mortal sin for the male of the species to have a soul.

While glancing around the web I tripped over a minor bit of trivia. British actor Bill Nighy, who was so fabulous in STILL CRAZY and LOVE, ACTUALLY, his given name is William Francis Nighy. Good first and middle names, I like him better already. For those of you who are more familiar with him as the big bad vampire Viktor in the UNDERWORLD movies (or will discover him as he plays Davey Jones in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN II) check out these two films at your local video store. The man has both musical and comedic chops.

Tonight is the Academy Awards. I'm making a prediction (those of you who remember my stint as a film reviewer on AOL will know to take my predictions cum grano salis after I predicted that TITANIC would end James Cameron's Hollywood career) that CRASH will surprise a lot of people in categories they weren't expected to win in. I am also calling for Phillip Seymour Hoffman to grab the Best Actor, but I just have this cold cockles feeling that this will not be Reese Witherspoon's year to take home the bald naked guy. We shall see. Oh, and Ang Lee should get Best Director. Should, not necessarily will.

Also, Jon Stewart hosting the Oscars? Brilliant. I wonder if he'll say anything political?

And finally, I am working on a new design to the City of Legends. Yeah, I know...but that's how a diety in exile spends his time. It's less risky than dating, but doesn't kiss very well.

Pet Peeve of the Day - people who don't answer emails.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved