Monday, March 27, 2006

A feasibility study

Yes, I authored the study of alternatives that the poet is wringing his hands over...

But he asked me to, so no violence, please...I vas chust followink orders. I hear that defense works, no? No? Ah, hell.

It's a combination of factors, not the least of which being the desire to consolidate operations under one publisher. In the end it will come down to a handful of fundamental questions: Does iUniverse really offer a better marketing pipe? Can we replicate 101 GREAT LOVE POEMS at lulu without losing quality? Is the imprint concept that the poet and Tag the blue-collar-boy-wonder are considering even possible? (Yes, I know, all things are possible...where there's a William, there's a way, blah blah blah...but I have to live in a world apart from platitudes.) Do we want THEOCRICIDE to be the quantum fusion bomb the poet conceived it to be, or is it better to peel it down to something lean and deadly, an adamantium flechette?

You're asking me? Hell if I know, I just work here and remind the guy of his clippings whenever he gets a bad case of the insecurities (yes, I know he's a deified figures in some circles, but trust me, put him in the same room with a pretty girl or tell him poem x is "not as good as" poem z and he flies to pieces so fast you're in danger from the shrapnel).

I'm picking up the galloping digressions from him. I need to work on that, if I fall prey to it then we'll end up like Dennis Miller...doing beer commercials and Monday Night Football.

In the end, here's what I think is going to happen:

He's going to keep INVOCATO, put out a full-fledged THEOCRICIDE, transfer 101 GREAT LOVE POEMS to lulu and put out 101 GREAT EROTIC POEMS and still have his novel out by Christmas...but I am going to try and get him to postpone RONIN IN THE TEMPLE OF APHRODITE until next Spring...he needs to slow down. You can see the incandescence as he works now...he's not burning out...but he's burning...and it is a beautiful, terrible light to behold.

Personally, I'm a bit mesmerized by it all. It's not quite a natural process he's going through, but, to paraphrase the poet himself, it is his nature.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved