Sunday, March 12, 2006

I knew someone...

Thumbnails of some people I've known:

I knew a woman once who was so mad at her father that, when she got married, she told the County Clerk she didn't know who her father was.

I knew a man who was jumpmaster in the military and lost a finger. To a power tool, working at home.

I knew a woman who declined a contract with a major modeling agency and married her boyfriend when she was nineteen because all of her friends from school had already gotten married.

I knew a man who tired to commit suicide by shooting himself in the hand.

I knew a woman who, when pregnant, married the only guy in town who proposed. And he was about the only man she knew who hadn't slept with her. He wanted to do the right thing for a friend, she wanted a husband.

I knew a man who lived the last year of his life, after being diagnosed with AIDS, on Coca Cola and vitamin shots. He was buried wearing a vampire cape.

I knew a woman whose teenage daughter was taught by her ex-husband how to copy her mom's email files, so he could see whom his ex-wife was talking to.

I knew a man who believed that because it is mentioned in the Bible that Jesus wept, but not that he laughed, it was a sin to laugh.

I knew a woman who shaved her head because the man she wanted wouldn't become her lover.

I knew a man who smeared his entire body in peanut butter, jelly, ketchup and mustard and marched in a parade.

I could go on, but I was just reflecting on some of the people I've known. A tiny, tiny fraction of those I've known.

Introspection is a strange, strange serpent.

2 comments:

katy said...

you, w.f.d., have known some interesting people. some sad people. and you have painted them in the most beautiful light.

Unknown said...

I needed to laugh~ thank you ;)

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved