Saturday, March 04, 2006

I'm not dead yet, said the cola achiever

Someone this morning pointed out that there is a new study linking soft drinks to cancer.

So, I did some quick research.

Well, there is a study out that backs up previous studies that sodium benzoate and Vitamin C in combination (as found in some soft drinks) may form benzene, which is a pretty effective carcinogen. It was done in Europe on some soft drinks that are distributed in Britain and France.

Problem is, no effect to me. The soft drink I mostly consume (Diet Coke with Splenda, only because DPSU has not yet put out a Diet Dr Pepper with Splenda - and Aspartame is just slightly less toxic than rat poison, in my humble opinion) uses potassium benzoate and does not add Vitamin C.

But, in the course of my research I did find out that Teddy Roosevelt had a reputed GALLON A DAY coffee habit. Coffee achiever, you bet.

Anyone but me remember those ads? I seem to recall they were done with the song "Hold on Tight to Your Dreams" by ELO while shots of "coffee achievers" like David Bowie, Heart and Cincinatti Bengals' quarterback Ken Anderson flashed by at dizzying speed. And they played, as I recall, during Saturday morning cartoons. As if being caught in bed with Mick Jagger wasn't humiliating enough for him, now Bowie is remembered by a generation of kids as the pusher for Starbucks...

As for me? Not dead yet. There is a betting pool that I will not die. I, personally, am not entering in it, because I'd bet against that and I wouldn't be around to collect my winnings. We all die. Sooner or later. Me, it will be later, most likely, medical tests indicate I'm still on my bulletproof streak.

Of course, it only takes one.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved