Thursday, March 09, 2006

sorbet moments between ronins and trinities

I just listened to the first edit of the music for the show...it needs some tweaking, but this is certainly the most ambitious piece we've assembled. It includes a "sorbet moment" of just over two minutes, between RONIN IN THE TEMPLE OF APHRODITE and THE TRINITY CYCLE where I keep shifting in and out of musical archetypes to cleanse the mind's palate. Watch for the church organ and the honky tonk pianos I distorted the soundwave on...as well as the harp and the rambling guitar.

When I play, I play. The work is right now at 19:04...final shaping of the gaps between individual works in the cycles may yet change that, but it should come in under 20 minutes, throw in the show's intro and extro and a bit of babbling filler for moi, including perhaps even some acknowledgements, and we have about a twenty five minutes show (I got hate mail over how short last week's was...hey, just because I'm not using it right now doesn't mean you can threaten cut it off and sell it on eBay...)

Got a pep talk email from an old high school friend this morning. I think she's acutely aware of how isolated I feel right now, she was mostly noting that my romantic dry spell won't last forever, that there are women in the world who appreciate romantic geniuses. (I've been demoted from godlike figure to genius? I've been too long away from the high desert... need.... some... Santa... Ana... winds...)

Yes, those women just all happen to be right now about 2500 miles away (that's not true...but I had to be glib and superficial or you wouldn't respect me).

I'll be fine, it's like sitting in the dentist's chair...you don't enjoy the moment, but you know it needs to be done (now Bette Midler's "Doctor Longjohn" is wedged in my head....noooooooooooo!)

Back to the spinning wheel...got a room still full of straw.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved