Thursday, March 02, 2006

I love me my FreeFind

One of the features on my website The City of Legends is FreeFind, which provides both full-text search and site map to visitors.

Once a month, I get a breakdown of search arguments used by visitors, and here's a sampling of the February results...what people were looking for amongst the hundreds of works I have posted there...

My recent work LOVE IS AN HOWLING BEAST was searched for repeatedly over several days, sometimes with people using "a" instead of "an" and sometimes with the word "howling" misspelled/mistyped. Ah, well.

Searches for my erotic cycle PENETRALIA peaked after I did a reading of it for my podcast show.

Someone was nosing around for info on my recent-era muse JADE...several searches, clustered together.

Repeated searches for a key phrase from THE PANTHER CYCLES..."a child, promised only in words". Someone was trying various subclauses. Of course, since the complete text of the p'cycles is not on my website, the search failed, whcih explained the repeated secondary attempts.

The words "kiss", "sexy" and "dreamers" were often search arguments...and someone searched on the word "redhead"...just once. Hmmm.

In the days before Valentine's Day, there were repeated searches for various words or phrases associated with romantic and sexual activity. No, I do not have the f-bomb on my site...I've never used it in a poem. "Impalement" seemed a favourite search term, although "penetration" and assorted terms for various parts of a woman's anatomy got their turns.

All in all, an interesting month. No full-real-name searches for muses. Those always get me, especially when it is someone who I've never mentioned by name, leaving me to believe that once in a while, the muses check on their legacies (for good or for bad).

So, drop by the City sometime and check it out. It's very useful for finding works you can just remember a line or phrase from. And the search updates weekly and includes my blog!

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved