Sunday, June 12, 2005

Survived the Reunion

Well, about 25 people showed up for the reunion last night...about a 75%-25% split between actual students and spouses or dates. I walked around all evening carrying a small package (I had promised a copy of THE MORGANTOWN SUITE POEMS to a classmate, as she is in it as the poem "To C.")...of course, she didn't arrive until almost 10 (the thing started at 8). I handed it off to her and that was that.

When I went to leave about 10:30, as I was giving my goodbyes, I mentioned to the woman who is in there under the poem "PK" that she needed to get herself a copy of my latest book...she immediately figured out what was in the package I'd handed off (I had told no one what it was) and headed straight across the room to borrow it to see her reference. I chose that moment to make as direct an exit as possible. Don't know if anyone will like the poems (I always assume not) but did survive the evening.

Had a nice chat with George, whom I never really mixed with in high school. He had a vague notion that I'd existed, but we had a lively chat about the creative arts and computer programming, we both had grown up to be individuals with profound spiritual views (He's what I call Buddheo-Christian, I have one foot there and one foot in the Friends (Quakers) although this whole Boddhisatva controversy is starting to make me think I should just go find a cave), involvement in the creative sphere (he's a musician, someone told me I write) and "streetgang" entry into decades of computer work (we both learned in largely "on the street"...never met a consultant worth a damn who learned it in the classroom. The skills that make a consultant good are more than just the technical skills, they include the drive and ability to learn independently.) Oh and both double-divorced.

I stayed standing through the whole thing, off to the side, as is my wont. Had at least one person say they didn't know who I was or have an recollection of me from then. Well - (all together now) the existence of a single atheist does not disprove the existence of God.

One of the couples there was comprised of two lawyers who specialize in divorces. Got a lot of good advice I could've used ten years ago (not so much on my most recent self-immolation, all I lost in that was a couple of boxes of personal possessions and my credit rating...and years of productive work, which I just have to work that much harder for the next decade or so to make up for it...why do you think I'm doing three books this year?). They did say that for a man with my body of intellectual property a pre-nup is the only way to go. Too many people out there just want you for what they can wring from you (okay, I've learned that the hard way, but I have learned that.)

It was a good gathering. Sorry Russell and Alan and Nelson and Jeanne and Lynne didn't make it, but overall it was a good group. Now, next emotional hurdles, June 14th (an anniversary) and the 16th (The AEI press conference).

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved