Friday, June 24, 2005

Mood altering colored dots

When I really feel like manipulating my moods, I play music.

Tito and Tarantula: "The Strange Face of Love" is right now playing.

Not any music...certain songs that are either meaningful in my life as background music to key events ("Secret Garden", "Glory Box", "Close Your Eyes") or because they are just so perfectly evocative ("Heart of Gold", "Sexual Healing", "Glycerine"). Certainly a dangerous proposition, sometimes, but I find it often worthwhile...I have been very flat, emotionally, lately (by my standards, not by human standards)...but have been fortunate to be rolling sevens and elevens more often than boxcars and snake eyes in the day to day.

Elvis vs JXL: "A Little Less Conversation"

I haven't turned the corner, financially, but I can now see it, just down the block. I still haven't given myself over to re-entering the relationship game (magnitude of wounds, you don't send a man with severed limbs back into the battle unless you need to...I didn't want to waste my energy and someone else's if I was too banged up. I'm much better now, thanks to many loving friends and the healing power of cathartic writing) but some fresh and interesting candidates are starting to appear in the tableau, and my psychological and physiological reactions indicate there's still the cavalier beneath the fallen walls.

Marvin Gaye: "Sexual Healing"

If you're one of the multitude I owe money to...be patient, I have no intention of shuffling off this coil without resolving all outstanding claims (I am going to make sure, just in case a speeding bus interrupts this upward arc, that I am insured to the gills) and I do apologize for the interruption, even those that were not my direct fault.

Dire Straits: "Skateaway"

If you're someone I have previously not given deserving attention to on a personal level: Flag me, dammit. I don't bite and I'd hate to think I had allowed myself to miss an opportunity to make someone happy. That's my programming. Even more than rescuing debris from the fields of chaos, I want to make someone happy. Not just in the magic gloves and Joe Gideon abstract sense of pleasing the audience, but one on one (quit snickering, yes, there's a double-entendre to be made there, and so be it).

Bruce Springsteen: "Rosalita"

The writing and editing goes well...I ping'd my advisory counsil earlier this evening concerning some internal graphics for THE COMPLEAT PANTHER CYCLES.

Warren Zevon: "Mohammed's Radio"

These are exciting times. My tread may be unsteady and uncertain at times, and I may be sad and wounded when the moods take me...but I'm climbing, not falling.

Meat Loaf: "I Would Do Anything for Love"

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved