Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Got the press release for THE MORGANTOWN SUITE POEMS out, yesterday afternoon...it should have gone out a week ago, so I am kinda/sorta ticked it didn't. I'll live...I cannot stay angry at anyone or anything, even myself, it isn't in my genes...

New work, arriving now (hey, you know me...Mr. Spontaneous)...
----------------------
I Would Be Your Champion
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would be your champion, your knight on snowdrift steed,
the one you turn to in the night to battle for your need.
I will carry high your flag into the fiercest fray,
I would be your champion, to win for you, the day.

I would be your champion, and ask nothing in return.
Your smile and nod (it may seem odd) is all I seek to earn.
For in this world of shades and thorns I've felt the dorsal shiv.
I would be your champion, and to your purpose, live.

I would be your champion, until you turn away
and find new castles to be built, new roles for you to play.
Though need one day will end, my friend, for my well-scarred arms,
I would be your champion, and shelter you from harms.

William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

(Yes, folks, he's still in there, still alive, just waiting for the wounds to heal...)

Yes, I know...it sounds defeatist. It isn't...it is accepting the fact that usually people stick around until they get what they want, then boogie. At least, that seems to be the pattern I have encountered. Both friends and lovers are present and accounted for until there is no more milk in the teat, then they find other places to be, other people to be with. We are a disposable society. You can walk into a burning building to carry someone to safety, but if you expect anything in return, you are not a student of human nature. Gratitude, commitment and loyalty are lost arts to most people. I accept that, going in.

I still believe in these things, however rare they must be. As I believe in God. As I believe in the sun rising tomorrow. As I believe in causes and concepts abstract to all but a very few people in this world, I believe in these things. The existence of a single atheist does not disprove the existence of God, I once said. That there are those who lack faith does not negate reality or my own faith (yes, it makes it a bit tougher to believe in...but that's the nature of faith...it must be tested, or it is nothing.)

I may have lost my way on occasion, but I still seek the path.
----------------------------------
I hope to hear from Google Groups today about my mailing list (they said 48 hours...that ends tonight.

Maybe one or more of the publications/media outlets we hit will want more info.,..although in this market I do not hold my breath...suffocation is painful.

I think, despite the heat, if the rain stays away, I will go for a walk today...this could be one of my last chances for a bit, with my schedule.

Picked up a new novel client (I do editing on the side...this one looks, er, challenging...weird, weird book...and the grammar and spelling of the author are pretty screwed up!).

I dreamt last night of Venice, California, again...it wouldn't be fair to mention who was in the dream, but the focus seemed to be the place itself.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved