Thursday, January 19, 2006

Valentine's Day gift book breakdown

I got an email the other day that I didn't bother to respond to (I'm sorry) until today.

In it, the writer asked which of my books would make the best Valentine's Day gift.

I pondered this and decided that it was dependent on the relationship and the person.

To expand:

PanthEon - A good, safe romantic book for an established relationship or as a not-too-subtle hint. Out of print, but still available, if you look.

from an unexpected quarter - Bright, flashy, twice as thick as any other volume except TCPC. I think this book might indicate you are trying to dazzle. Perhaps better for a door-opener than for an established relationship. Going out of print in mid-February.

Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion - A strong contender for an existing relationshp. Intelligent, erotic and romantic. Might be too subtle for an intro, but if the person you're giving it to is a very literate person... Also going out of print in February. Good collector's item.

101 Great Love Poems - Strong across-the-board Valentine's Day gift item. Sales are also strong as a wedding present and a graduation gift. The hardbound edition is more impressive and durable. The paperback is cheaper.

INVOCATO - If you don't want to spend the twenty bucks or so on the hardbound of "101"...go with this. Some of my very best works, ranging from the flirtatious to the plutonic. Includes many of my most respected works.

The Morgantown Suite Poems - As a Valentine's Day gift? Only for a real fan of my works, or poetry in general, or someone from Morgantown. And, no, despite the fact that the WVU Mountaineers are based on Morgantown (and my baby brother is a statistical historian for the team), not a single poem has the word "Pittsnogle" in it.

The Compleat Panther Cycles - Maybe a little overpowering as a door opener, unless that is your style. This glossy, massive novel-length poetic diary of a love affair is the tactical nuke to INVOCATO's diamond bullet. It has been known to, without the cover being opened, cause undergarments to go flying. If it is worth the 25-40 dollars (depending on where you buy it) to take a relationship to the next level (you know what I mean) this is probably the quickest way short of a diamond or a car to get naked. Just use a condom.

Okay, that's my response. Some may argue with me. But, hey, I'm the author. You can check out most of these books at your favourite online retailer, or through my City of legends bookstore (I autograph all that come from there, and TCPC is substantially less expensive through my store)

Of course, Mari Laureano's latest, due out that week, is also an excellent choice.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved