Thursday, January 05, 2006

Closing the loop...takes both ends

Ever get aggravated at people who don't return phone calls?

I do.

Got a letter the other day, a legal matter, the lawyer instructed me to get in touch with her before January 6th for the purposes of making this an "amicable" matter (and full of not so veiled threats to squeeze turnip juice out of me...get in line) people need to understand that the word "amicable" rarely has anything to do with a legal matter. The word means "friendly"...friends ask and get respect and consideration. Sending belligerent letters is not a friendly thing....so I immediately called...both her office and her cell number, both provided in the letter. No answer, but left messages, complete with my name, my intention to get along and my phone number, at both numbers.

That was a week ago. Still nothing. Tomorrow's the sixth. If someone decides I didn't make an affort to close the loop, I got the date/time stamp on the calls...the cell call was on the 29th of December at 1:22 PM, EST. The office call was made at 12:58 PM EST on December 29th.

I guess friends don't hire lawyers.

Note: K Callan, in an article on business etiquette, says that all contacts need to e returned within 24 hours of receipt to be professional. It doesn't diminish me if someone isn't professional, it diminishes them in my eyes.

It's like love. Being loved takes no effort and makes no statement of your value as a person. Loving defines you; your willingness to love, your willingness to express it, and how you manifest it. Sacrifice, faith, passion, steadfastness... games are for gamesters. I like life.

By your fruits, you are known. Me, I return calls. Usually.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved