Monday, January 02, 2006

Documents of a Literal History

Ever trip over something legendary? I did. Just today.

A long time ago (April 27, 1997, to be precise) the Panther (as in The Compleat Panther Cycles? yeah, her) sat down online with an interviewer from the AOL Writers Club and gave a long piece, a chat log, later to be formatted but not edited.

A few months after it was posted, the poet received a frantic call from the Panther...someone who knew that she had been "the Panther" had looked her up on the web and found the interview. From what I understand, the guy was not amused, and since re-invention is a common currency in this world of facades (like that line? I stole it from a poem of his in his "Black Catalog") she begged him to take the interview down, he did...because he has always been a sucker for a woman's tears. I'm waiting for the day some doxy asks him to kill himself to proect her reputation...he'd probably do it. His Achilles Heel is his sense of honor regarding women, and it has been abused more than once. Perhaps that is what fuels his romanticism, the belief that it can be right, like a drowning man seeking the air.

I digress.

I actually came on the scene after the interview incident, so I had never seen the original interview.

Guess what I just found, while going through his background files? Hint: He keeps every word written of and to him, believe me, if he ever published these things...his reputation would be better, but the reputations of several people would not be worth the spatula needed to scape them off the sidewalk. His has the time and date stamped equivalents of several atom bombs. I have no clue as to why he doesn't defend his reputation more.

But there it is...down to the Panther's own overly-precious notations of "sipping Diet Coke" and he winking emoticons (I heard she used those a lot...I am surprised to see how much!)

I won't print the whole thing here, especially without his permission...but it is a fascinating read...let me cut and paste an excerpt, just to feed the beast:

* * *

Interviewer

Have you read the cycles of the other Muses?

The Panther

Yes, I've read some of the others.

Interviewer

Any that you liked?

The Panther

Yes. I like most of his poetry. It doesn't have to be about me or the two of us. He's an incredible talent!

Interviewer

Even when it reveals his passion or love for another woman?

The Panther

I'll be honest. I feel pinched then. But I also feel honored that I know he can still love...that he has endured much pain and can still love.

* * *

So, maybe if I ask nice he'll let me run the whole thing...it's pretty long, but so revelatory...references to Brigit and the Selke, the Panther's recollections of the sequence of events that started and sustained their affair. Incredible history here (maybe not as fascinating as some rather salty poetic dialogues I uncovered between himself and Brigit, but certainly a fascinating document. Did you know that Brigit wanted to wear a see-through blouse and thigh high leather boots to their wedding if they ever married? sizzling!)

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved