Saturday, January 14, 2006

the gibberish of a well-rested mind

Lots of gibberish this morning, plus a few surprises along the way...

Heard by email yesterday from my old friend Lauren McLennan. She's a fantastic poet who was one of the first people to greet me when I reached Los Angeles. She helped me outfit my apartment on Venice Boulevard, screened prospective lovers for me, and was the catalyst in my party story about having to defend my definition of a slut ("A slut is someone, male or female, who cannot tell you the middle name of everyone they ever slept with.")

Lighten up, world, there are worse things than being a slut...some of my best friends have been slut. I didn't see Jesus hanging out with the Moral Majority. Flawed people (we all are, I mean the ones who can outwardly express or admit their flaws) are more interesting than yes-men. And yes, I remember the middle names.

Good to know she's doing well. I wonder of she still sings along with her car radio?

My Grandmother is still in the hospital. She's resting comfortably while the family grapples with her episode. Please include her in your prayers.

Got some sleep last night, phew. Needed it. I actually have motor skills this morning. Will try to tie my shoes after my shower. Will be able, this morning, to remember to put on shoes AFTER shower.

The new FROM OUT OF THE CITY is up and taking hits, in the good sense. It was interesting to hear Mark Rockeymoore, the gentleman who does the musical arrangements for Aberjhani, putting in his plug for Stan Lee as well. The cultural influences the man has had in the past (I do not cound collaborating on STRIPPERELLA to be a high mark in his career) can not be underestimated. Think how much different my life path would have been if the tryout as a writer with Marvel that he got me in 1979 had been successful. As it was, I didn't make the cut and Stan told me not to feel bad, some guy named Mario Puzo didn't make it when he tried out back in the sixties. So he (Puzo) went on the write a book called THE GODFATHER.

Had I ended up writing for THE BLACK PANTHER I might have never written THE PANTHER CYCLES. Of course, the notion of someday guesting at the big M and doing a single comic episode entirely in poetic voice, that appeals to me. Anybody out there listening? Maybe an issue of THOR (they still have that title going?) owing to my perversely encyclopediac knowledge of Norse Mythology...I could have Bragi, their God of Eloquence and Poetry, narrate it...or at least appear in it.

hmmmm....like I don't have enough on my plate

Hey, I survived a Friday the 13th!

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved