Monday, January 23, 2006

AEI, my curiosity and words from Don Knotts

Ever feel like prodding something with the toe of your boot, just to see what happens? I feel that way about two local libraries.

Having had a situation where a couple of books of mine what I donated to the Morgantown High School Libarary ended up in a vertical file for two years, instead of on the shelves, I almost...almost want to check and see if they, or the Morgantown Public Library, have actually taken a look at what my donation brought them...copies of the Appalachian Education Initiative's ART & SOUL.

If you haven't heard me speak of it before, it is a glossy coffee-table size book (not as large as THE COMPLEAT PANTHER CYCLES, but substantial). In it are profiles of 50 "outstanding creative artists" from the State of West Viginia. From Squire Parsons to Jennifer Garner, from Homer Hickam to Kathy Mattea, from Ann Magnuson to...me.

When the people at the AEI told me that some of the creative artists in the book had donated copies to schools in various parts of the state, I of course asked if any of the other three who were graduates from Morgantown High had already grabbed that venue...when I found out they had not, I went ahead and took that one on, and threw in the Morgantown Public Library for good measure.

Reports have it that the books were delivered in December. A part of me wants to check with both to see if they did anything with them but tuck them in a corner...like, oh, I dunno...what else would you do with a book but use it to shim a table leg? Uh...read it?

Just a whim.

At the same time, I don't want to seem pushy or obnoxious...God knows there are enough people who have enough opinions on my flaws...I wouldn't want to add to the perceptions. After my Valentine's Day podcast I will be having enough problems with those who think you can't have a libido.

But I am curious.

If you happen to be in either location, do me a favour...just drop by the desk of either library and see if they are even aware of the book in question.

And while you're at it, you should contact the AEI (their website is AEI) and order a book as a donation for your local library or school.

As an added treat, they have a recording of Don Knotts (also an MHS alumnus) plugging the book...you can hear that one...here.

Hey he may not be as cute as Jennifer Garner, but everyone knows who he is. I remember watching his "Ghost and Mr. Chicken" at the Maple Leaf Drive in as a double feature with Ricky Nelson's movie "Love and Kisses" when I was just a kid.

I should send him a book, as my humble thanks.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved