Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Beasts of Legend, arriving this weekend

Wow...just about everyone touched base with me yesterday, even some people I'd not heard from in months. Bizarre. I must've had my "open for business" sign out.

Spent most of the day in the studio, laying tracks for this week's podcast...I'm running short on guests for this week...everyone is a bit slow on getting back to me and meeting deadlines, so I am probably going to, again, jump up a future show I'd been working on...

It's my most ambitous ppoetry and music fusion yet, a 15:20 minute piece I've tentatively entitled "Beasts of Legends". Longer musical transitions, changes of style, from country to trance, and the finale is done without musical accompaniment. And, no, I don't sing on this one.

The seven poems in this stampede are:

My Electric Lady - One of the ones so old, I should have grandchildren from it by now. And I do...watch for the references to "my brother, the night" in this piece, then again in a poem written decades later I use later in the composition. How old is this work? Let's put it this way: It can't run for President, but it can serve in the Senate.
Brisant Revelations - A curiosity of a work for something so intense. I wrote it on a menu at a small cafe where Larry Jaffe was hosting poetry readings in Pasadena. Wish I could remember the name of the place. I read it that night to good reception. I think I still have that menu, I shall have to dig it up for posterity.
Shards of Light - A rumination on the intensity of love, gained and lost. Not that old of a work, and aggressive.
Radiant Tigers - Dedicated to George Gordon, Lord Byron, that other "one draft" romantic poet. I love this poem, and had fun giving it a musical frame worthy of itself.
Aureate - I have always considered this one of my better works. Hard edged words, complex lines, and a message...as well as a moment or two of self-reference.
Pellinore, Watching from Across the Room - "Taking a Risk" done with a little more world weariness.
Glass Roses - One of my most celebrated works. "A white fragrance, as white as a virgin's first kiss."

So, there you have it. Can't wait for the weekend to hear it? Maybe, if you ask nice, I'll slip you the link to the review copy I hide out on the web for friends and peers to hear early, to start buzz.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved