Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Wheels, Olan Mills and Some Chick in a Spacesuit

Wow. All sorts of little things going on, feel like an ADHD patient, sans meds, at a carnival sideshow.

Got the car, spent a portion of yesterday evening cleaning it up...something I inherited from my second ex-wife, she would spend hours cleaning her car...something about her prestige being tied to it. Although I appreciated the value of an OCD's cleanliness, it sometimes came at odd times and places. But, I thought of her, briefly, while cleaning the trim. Hope she's doing okay.

My brother, Robert, called late yesterday and told me to go to my email...so I did...he had found and scanned a relic of the past, an Olan Mills photo of my first significant love, Nancy. The picture had been taken about a year before we parted company, while plans were under full steam for us to be married. Man, I screwed that one up...the very first in a series of mistakes I've made in that domain (relationships) having been unfaithful moe than once and chosen poorly even more often. Had I not listened to her sisters' remour-mongering and had just gone to bed the evening Milton called to invite me to the party over at Jan and Karen's...this world would look different.

It was never a great picture of either of us, Nancy was always far more beautiful than the camera would ever admit, and brilliant besides. I think, in retrospect (always dangerous, as memory is an imperfect photographic plate) she was the best rounded and just plain best of the women I have ever been truly involved with. Besides, without her influence, I would've never stuck with my writing (she was my Dr. Frankenstein, as it was an argument with her when she asked me to give up this "poetry thing" that led to our breakup...well, that and an aggressive belly-dancing Biology major in silver body paint who showed up on cue after that...told you I was stupid).

I got mentioned (I think for the first time ever) in the writer's bulletin from the Burryman. Yeah, it was so edited down as to be somewhat inaccurate, but considering the level of people who often get mentioned in those virtual pages, to quote the great Kirk Douglas "All publicity is good publicity" (just ask Paris Hilton or Monica Lewinski...of course, there are two examples of people who demonstrate to the world the value of Western Culture, no?)

Re-watched "Big Fish"...it occurred to me afterwards that my two favourite death scenes in movies both involve Jessica Lange ("Big Fish" and "All That Jazz"). Maybe I can get her to show up for my funeral, hm? Still looking for a good choreographer so I can go out like Joe Gideon.

Gotta go...low on Diet Dr. Pepper (the world will not be right until they switch to Spelnda, until them I'll just keep poisoning myself with Aspartame).

Note to Karl Rove: Pack and head for the airport, you're an albatross now. No, I am not a fan of the Pretendent of the United States, but I am also a political realist and you are going to prove to be a distraction to the nation, pack your arrogance and put the country ahead of your own ass. I love my country. Prove that you do, too.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved