Sunday, July 17, 2005

(audio) PC 10: The Penetrating Rose


this is an audio post - click to play
Both this poem and the cycle it comes from are called "the penetrating rose"...and when this Tenth Panther Cycle began circulating, there was much debate as to whether I was describing a real rose, a metaphor for a rose or some other allegory for perhaps even the male genitalia.

Well, might as well give up one secret...all three are correct. This is a blended image and metaphor. But remember, if you can't live without experimenting with this I do have one word of advice...unless you like the idea of potential medical treatment, meticulously remove all thorns.

the penetrating rose

the focus shifts to your hand. your soft hand. the hand
that brushes aside my hair to gaze into my eyes when
that is all we dare do for fear of showing the cards
of our hearts to the riverboat gamblers who charge
and bluff and cheat their ways across this game. with
firm and cautious resolve, you guide the penetrating rose
to its vase. or perhaps, to a new bed, rich and nurturing.
where it will take root. and grow strong as an expression
of passion and love. I stare deeply into your burnt honey
eyes and see the fire in them, as parts the impediments
to the penetrating rose. I see your eyes. I feel your eyes
locked into mine, sending fire and pleasure like some
great spiritual semaphore. a single sound escapes your lips.
and the penetrating rose slides softly into place. and
you brush aside my hair again, with the soft hand that
guided the flower to its new home. where it takes root.
and blossoms as your eyes, hand, heart and flesh desire.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

But I'll leave any further details to your own sick imagination.

This cycle was one of my first attempts at erotic-tinged poetry, and judging from the email responses I got (mostly unprintable) when this set of poems was first distributed, they were...effective. I started receiving all manner of propositions and photographs from women all around the world, it was really quite flattering. But at the time my heart was given and taken. Not like today (hint, hint) where I am just a resolute if disappointed romantic, getting ready to take the world by storm and lacking little but a worthy woman-muse to build my skycastles to.

(hint, hint)

To read the rest of the poems in this cycle and the entirety of THE COMPLEAT PANTHER CYCLES, I would suggest you hurry and order yourself a copy...the links are all over the place on this blog.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved