Monday, July 11, 2005

Nonpareil

I don't know if it matters in the scheme of things, but I know I will not rest tonight until I speak from the heart, as only I can.

Nonpareil
---------

To be a homeless troubadour -
a curse, and yet there's worse.
A verse that time will not reverse -
I knock a well-barred door.

What value is the champion
when there are crowns not to be found?
What purpose is the minstrel's sound
when grave cold silence has begun?

No worthy muse has tread my trail
to light the stones with feet of hope,
instead I find the rough hemp rope
awaits me in a debtor's jail.

And yet, defiance is my wine,
and lenity remains my song
that I shall sing as loud and long
as God shall grant in His design.

For fool I was, and yet remain,
to purpose more than pocket's fill.
I tilt for love and challenge still
in face of fortunes and all pain.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

To those whom I have let down, my sincerest apologies, in accordance with my faith and purpose.
To those who have let me down, my grace.
To those I have not yet met, may you find in me what you need to find and may I find in you the truth.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved