Friday, July 15, 2005

Babbling-on

Went to bed early last night, could barely keep my eyes open. So, of course, was up extra-early this morning.

Ah, well.

Monday is the official release date for THE COMPLEAT PANTHER CYCLES...and, although advance orders have been disappointing, the buzz sounds good. I am...content.

Got word yesterday that my ex and the kids (as well as Peri's fiance) will take time out to visit while Peri and Brian are back East for a week...unfortunately, the only time they could find to visit is when I will be at work, but this at least means that Mom and Dad will get to see the boys and Peri and meet Brian. I just hope everyone is on their best behaviour. (I mean my parents). The estrangement from my daughter has been one of the most difficult things I have had to endure in this life, to not be able to see her or the boys (or Brian, whom I am rather fond of) when they pass through is just one more piece of gristle in the stew.

Got a call a few days ago from a gentleman on the City Council. Last year, when I first moved back to Morgantown, I emailed all the members of City Council who had email addresses (one did not, which says something about this "very important and Internationally lauded, best-city to live in"...we are still outside the reality curve, if however slightly...which is actually part of the charm)...of the six I did email, two never responded (one was actually bounced). Two congratulated me on my return home. One suggested (as I mentioned I was looking for some guidance on local employment) that I talk to Mylan Pharmaceuticals (who, after six months, I got a nice form letter from stating that the one position they had was frozen and to please not to forget to try their latest generics).

The last one, the aformentioned, sent me an email saying he had something for me. I called and he asked if I would volunteer to write a brochure for a local parks project, to encourage people to leave bequests to the park. A big comedown from "Poet of the Year" and billion-dollar business proposals, but this isn't exactly LA or DC. I assented, mostly out of boredom, and sent him the work in August.

Never heard back until October, when he called to say he never got it (ah...two months to notice this when I spoke to him the day I sent it to him via email and let him know I was kicking it to him later that day?). I apologized (seemed like the thing to do) and retransmitted it.

I got a call from him earlier this week (July of the next year, for those of you keeping track...9 months) saying me know he either never got it or had lost it (sounds like a familiar story regarding a novel I ghosted for someone...why is it the freebies always go missing?). I now have to go back to my archives and see if I even kept the thing. Grumble. Got enough on my plate. So much for my favourite son status as an author...

E.J. suggested I rename my memoir. I've always thought WINGS AS OFT LEATHERY AS FEATHERY is a good title, very evocative. He's nominating DEFIANCE. No subtitle, just that. I'll have to think about it, although I am dubious. There is sumething about it that catches my attention though. The fact that he mentioned this after reading the lastest editions and edits tells me that I am hitting the note I was looking for.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved