Monday, July 25, 2005

Kids are coming today

My kids (and ex wife) and my daughter's fiance are swinging by today...I will not be available (caught betwixt a rock and a hard place, but considering the strained relationship with my daughter, maybe it is better do I have to be at work), but this will give my parents (their grandparents) a chance to see them for the first time in a while, and to meet the fiance (Brian, whom I rather like).

I spent a few minutes yesterday cleaning my corner of reality, so as to set a good example for the boys (they're twelve, a certain amount of chaos and ruckus are expected) but I am a bit down that I will not be able to see them, Peri or Brian at this time. Such is life. I am sure there are those who will say I am being a bad parent by not quitting my job to see them, but I am sure if I quit my job I would be even more criticized. I can go see the boys later, and riight now I am waiting for my daughter to give any signal that she even wants me alive on this planet before I presume upon her existence.

I have learned a lot in the last year, if only on a philosophical level. I should have done a better job advocating for Peri against certain other parties, that's my fault and my shame. For a person like me, failing to 24/7 protect someone you love from harm is the greatest sin. Yeah, that's neurotic as hell, but it is who I am and I'd rather that than be the kind of parasite I have so often encountered in this life. I may be often incompetent, but I am at least making the effort to be a good person.

Back to the poetry: I am determined to add Chicago to my tour next spring, if anyone knows a good venue or twelve in that area (in fact, that goes for any city in North America...if you know a good venue, suggest it!) let me or them know. What makes a good venue? A place to speak from and the ability to fit more than one other person in it (places that only one other person can fit in are more suitable to other performances of mine...heh heh heh)

I have in the past done readings in cafes, sports bars, churches, schools, clubs, between acts at rock concerts, bookstores and auditoriums. First priority is usually given to venues that are willing to pay, second priority to those at least willing to let me peddle my books and who might pass the hat (or at least put out a tip jar). I am willing to work with local talent, but would rather not have it part of an open mic night.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am quite certain that there will be many Chicagoans (and those from surrounding areas, such as myself) rejoicing at the prospect of you coming to the city. Truely something to look forward to after a long winter. Sounds perfect. Will give some thought as to venues.
Karen
I just hate being anonymous

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved