Saturday, July 23, 2005

Summers and Fridays

I keep a pretty good eye on my empire. I track the ebb and flow of visitors to my website, this blog, my site at authorsden.com and my collection of worked hosted by alt-sex-stories-text-repository (yeah, a little out there for me, but the audience is huge, and I haven't posted anything I haven't read for an audience)

What has struck me over the years have been the ebbs...those moment and seasons when my readership drops. Summers and Fridays.

Summers, considering my huge college student demographic, makes sense. They are off carousing, many of them cut off from their usual access to the internet, and many of them not needing to do research for a quick research paper for their lit class.

Fridays have been problematic for me to explain, although I have a notion that it's office workers. People who cruise the web at the office are busy on Fridays trying to get out the door and don't have the downtime to be looking for something to read and thus they opt for weather.com or Fandango or God-knows-what-else instead.

Any thoughts? I'm, as always listening.

By the way, I recently got an email from someone representing themselves as a 13 year old girl from Canada. Nothing against young people or Canadians...but she connected with me through this blog and just about the first question out of her mouth (or keyboard was asking me how old I am. I hope those who actually read this web blog stop for ten seconds to put my words in the context of who and what I am.

Or, as we use to say on the web in chatrooms "M/49"....people cruising for a webdate would come into a chatroom (usoally the Writers Cafe or Writers Den on AOL, where there was a raging discussion between people of the likes of Aldo Alvarez, Harlan Coben, Tom Clancy and myself on the topic of modern literary genre identity, and blithely drop "age/sex" as their opening line.

This invariably would lead to twenty people clicking their ignore buttons at once.

Have a good day and keep you eyes open for some changes to my site at cityoflegends.com in the next few days.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved