Monday, May 01, 2006

My Life as a Paul Simon song or a Steve Martin movie

"I met my old lover
On the street last night
She seemed so glad to see me
I just smiled
And we talked about some old times
And we drank ourselves some beers
Still crazy afler all these years"

-Paul Simon, "Still Crazy After All These Years"

The other evening I ran into a near-miss of mine from high school. A lovely girl whom I was attracted to, but I was so shy with women back then I ignored her and hurt her feelings. She's now grown with a husband and a daughter and a life, but she mentioned my ignoring her and I came clean about my attraction to her back them (especially her extraordinary legs...to see her in cutoff shorts was a sexual experience). Still crazy, you bet.

I received an email today from Brigit, my uber-muse. I let her slip through my fingers years ago at LAX. Every time I see the final scene of Steve Martin's "LA Story" I think of how I should've emulated him when he says to his dream girl:

"All I know is, on the day your plane was to leave, if I had the power, I would turn the winds around, I would roll in the fog, I would bring in storms, I would change the polarity of the earth so compasses couldn't work, so your plane couldn't take off. "

-Steve Martin as Harris Telemacher, "LA Story"

Sigh. So many regrets, so little time. I promised Brigit I would immediately fulfill her wish she was asking of me, which was for a 36 hour day. It was simple, I merely decreed that from this moment forward, an hour is 40 minutes in length. Now, it may take a few years to get clock makers and the National Bureau of Standards on board with this, but I've decreed it, and as the poet god, I expect it to be enforced. Voila! A 36-hour day.

There, that was easy.

Still crazy, you bet.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved