Tuesday, May 09, 2006

the left-alignment versus center-alignment of poems

It was not that long ago an editor acquaintance of mine bashed a manuscript I sent her for blurb (that's when someone gives you a quote about the book to place on the cover or advertsiements...both parties benefit from the networking as it serves as a two-way conduit of readers).

She sent me a note back stating she could not, of good conscience, say anything good about it, as I was centering the poems on the pages, rather than left-justifying them (aligning all the lines to start on the left). I wasn't flabbergasted, I was bemused and let her go on her way unmolested.

I was thinking about that incident the other evening as I was reviewing a few pieces on mine in one of my books, and I realized one of the key reasons why I like the "Christmas tree" effect of center the lines, the way both sides are uneven, unless you are obsessive-compulsive about all your lines being exactly the same length: It makes it easier to find your place when doing a live reading.

Really. You could make the argument that it is being selfish, it is for my convenience. With an uneven left margin, it is much more difficult to lose your way, especially in a work where multiple lines start with the same letter or even word. You take your eyes off the page for a moment to make eye-contact with the audience (or at least the liberal-arts major in the second row with the patchwork skirt and the peasant blouse who seems to be making eye contact back and slowly sliding down further into her chair during the more flagrantly, fragrantly erotic works in the set) and when your eyes dart back, you do not want to have to take a second to find where you left off.

So, to anyone who wonders why I seem so fond of this, there's your answer. If you're an editor or a publisher who doesn't like it? Sorry, but be reconciled to the fact that while I am out promoting my works in other people's publications or the sales of my books, at least you don't have to answer for me.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved