Monday, October 17, 2005

Shutting down the remnants of a lost empire

I cancelled a domain today, the hosting as well. Why?

Well, don't worry...it wasn't Cityoflegends.com...I'll probably die before that one falls off the planet. It was another (I won't give it out, as I don't want people running over there...)

About a year ago, in preparation for a former lover's book coming out...a book I had ghost written for her (she's a sweet girl but has no literary background. don't ask how many other things I'd "ghosted" for her) I had procured her a website with the book's title, set up the website, and set up the hosting.

It wasn't a big deal.

Then, she dropped out of my life. A willful drop out, leaving me holding the bag so to speak...and after a few months I took down the webpage, but kept the domain and hosting, so I could set it back up for her or trasnfer it to her if she ever asked. But, for whatever reasons, she never requested it. Maybe she decided not to go forward with the book.

It was a sad moment, filling out the paperwork. But, it ended what I believe to be my last direct financial tie to her...and I suppose that is a good thing.

Nonetheless, I mourned it.

There still sits one empty throne in the Sapphire Place in the City of Legends. I wonder how long it will sit thus, and who will dare to wear the crown?

One thing is a certainty...my days as a ghost writer are over. (Although there are times I regret not taking more seriously Robert Davi's invitation to help him write his autobiography...he's an interesting fellow...Bob, call me!)

Shameless.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved