Friday, October 21, 2005

Quick and dirty homework help

If you're a student looking to get something together quick this weekend, so as to meet a critical deadline for an English or Lit class, homework help is on the way.

Okay, it's not me writing your paper for you, give me a break...but I do have some good suggestions, suggestions given to me by students who have used my works in school projects:

A quick and dirty bio on an American author of the last century? Piece of cake...go to the media page at www.cityoflegends.com and lift what you need. There's also a good bit about me in the wikipedia.

There's also a few decent quotes from me at www.brainyquote.com.

Also, note, if the topic is "famous West Virginians", "the digital renaissance" or "guys with two or more divorces" I'm eligible.

Need to just bring in a poem for class? There's hundreds at the City of Legends...not just mine, but predominantly so...feel free to use what you need, as long as it is attributed - you don't claim you wrote it! That's plagiarism...and if your teacher is one of those closet fans of mine and catches you..."F" city...

Want a poem or two that are easy to analyze? If the poem isn't of a structure form like sonnet or villanelle, most of mine are "projective" poems. Watch, though, as the teacher may want to hear about my alliteration, I tend to do a lot of that...you know, use words in close proximity that open with the same sounds... Also, pay attention to my theological and mythological allusions...I am particularly fond of Greek over Roman deity names, but lean into the Norse myths more.

Key Christian allusions I employ? References to Damascus, where Saul of Tarsus was confronted by God and became a Christian (in my hands it signifies a change in a person's romantic life on a major scale) or a lot of reliance on Gethsemane (where Jesus had his last moments of doubt) and Golgotha ("The Place of the Skull"), where He was crucified.

Stay away from "City of Angels" - it mentions both condoms and blowjobs...a lot of teachers don't have a sense of humour about that (also, note I tend to favour the British spellings of words like flavour, favour, colour and humour...and affectation of mine as I tend to favour a richer enunciation). And if you MUST do "Arachne and red Lace" note I do not and never have done drugs...it is about a woman.

Some good poems to work from that are easy to analyze:

>>The Unicorns (innocence and desire)
>>My Life
>>Judgement
>>Horizon (have all the fun you want with the identities of the symbols...I haven't figured them out yet myself)
>>goblins in my attic (a fun read-aloud work about creative impulses)
>>TRIUMPH (fun to analyze, just note the progression in the first lines of each stanza. but, this is a tough one to read aloud)
>>Sonnet: The Well of Life is Love Without Fear
>>Villanelle: The Poisoned Pen (a caution about how words are often used to justify actions)
>>We Owe Debt to Memory (point out it is a warning to potential muses in the aftermath of his second wifes infidelitites)


If you're doing an in depth analysis...note I do not do sestinas, haiku or cinquains, and I have a tendency to go to hexameter instead of pentameter in my sonnets, with a reach to the anapest meter (look it up) instead of the iambic and trochaic measures.

There! Hopefully I've given you some ideas to get you out of your rut, off your butt, and done with the assignment you've been sandbagging for the last two weeks. Let me know how it turns out and I'll be happy to consider gifting your school library with a book or two and maybe even swinging by on my tour next year.

No need to thank me...but if you have a sister...

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved