Monday, October 03, 2005

New poem: These Shoes Don't Fit No More

Just got to speak to my old and dear friend Claiborne Schley-Walsh (Claibie) who remains one of my dearest friends in the universe despite the fact she encouraged me to get involved with my second wife. She rode out Hurricane Katrina, down in Alabama, and is still going strong. I hope, sometime soon, the hostess of the original Southern Poets Readers Tour will put together a new one!

She asked me how it felt to be back in Morgantown (actually, she asked me why I was back in Morgantown) and I told her "These shoes don't fit no more"...

These shoes don't fit no more.
If, in truth, they ever did.
Remembering back, two score,
to when I was a kid,
I recognize the wards and signs
that told me I should go...
from sea to sea, outside the lines,
to chase the days' last glow.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved