Friday, October 21, 2005

the evils of insta-spam sites like seeq.com

Steamed is a good word for my mood. I was writing a lengthy post this morning, on the topic of the Totem Muses in my works, when I opened an extra window to get information, a quote if you will, from Jules Feiffer's works...

Not finding exactly what I wanted through Google, I decided to try the old tried and true method of using the author's name as a site name and seeing what was to be found...

Well, I tried "www.feiffer.com" and was rewarded with one of those bait-and-switch crapfests from www.seeq.com that floods your screen with pop-up boxes (does anyone actually use that page for anything or do they just lie about their user stats to get gullible merchants to sponsor their insta-spam pollution of the web?)

I finally, in frustration, closed out Safari...forgetting I had a yet-unsaved Russian novel of an entry...which I did lose.

So, to sum it up:

Insta-spam sites like seeq.com - bad.

T0tem muses...well, since middlemen merchant pimps are more important in this world than anything to do with music, art, literature or the human condition (the richest men in the world are not inventors or artists, they are middlemen - merchants in the global flea market - those who have a combination of good fortune, a seller's amorality (I've sold before, the pressure to lie is immense...I have yet to meet an honest salesman...) and greed) my observations can wait.

But mostly it was an analysis of the evolution of the muses and why I have been extremely unfair, expecting a level of intellect, spirituality and beauty that is unlikely to be found in one person...and therefore imposing a perfected or exagerrated view on real life people who then are crushed by their own praises. Janet Innes was right, the redemption I offer through my works is enticing, but in the end they feel the pressure and collapse under it and resent me, even if I have done more for them than anyone else in their life...at least those who have harmed them or held them back did not hold out the hope of even greater things.

It's more elegant in the long form...I'll try to find the patience to re-generate it later.

In the meantime...don't forget to swing by www.archive.org...try out the WayBack Machine and even seek out my sample readings from Radio City of Legends (try "DeVault" as a search argument...)

And, thanks to those of you who took the bait...the books are in the mail, yes, I re-attached the websites for Mari Laureano, Erin Kelly-Moen and Jade Hernandez to the City of Legends. I figured the place needed some prettying up. Now, if the Mad Gypsy will cooperate, I'll set her old wing up, as well....

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved