Friday, October 21, 2005

The Problem of Spoken Word Eroticism

I have written erotic poetry. More than once. I have the emails (and pictures) sent by fans to prove it (eroticism is in the mind of the beholder...there's a classic old sketch on SNL of Patrick Stewart running an erotic bakery where all the items features icing images of a woman urinating). The whole pont was, we are all turned on by different things...

There are some works on my site at www.cityoflegends.com and in my books that certainly qualify as erotic. Of course, some people might be offended by "The Penetrating Rose" and others won't...but those same people who found nothing sinister (or at least nothing on the par with that classic of erotic literature "The Song of Solomon" in the Holy Bible) in "The Penetrating Rose" might take exception with "Possession" or "Wine" or even one poem I wrote once for an acquaintance who was multi-lingual in which I used the word "tongue" (not the physical sense, but the sense of a foreign language...) and one guy decided I was making a double entendre I( wasn't, I was praising her facility with languages, which I lack...)

So, now I am faced with the problem of the podcasting at Radio City of Legends. Do I do an oral interp of some of the erotic works and accept the fact that somewhere, somehow, someone who considers literature that uses the word "kiss" is more dangerous to the world than hunger, pestilence, drugs, pollution, global warming, war or famine might decide to bash me? Especially after they catch their fifteen year old listening to my works (remember, I have been banned from some venues and schools before, which is silly as my work lacks 1/1000th the open sexuality of three scenes in the book "The Godfather"...)

So, an open invite for comments, what do you think?

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved