Thursday, January 25, 2007

words to a stricken, worthy heart

I spent my evening yesterday, speaking at length with a friend who is going through a rough patch, a busted relationship and broken heart. Some people sometimes view these times as not such a big deal, but those are the ones with shallow or hollow hearts.

I wish for this friend all the joy and love and peace in the world. They are a worthy heart, more worthy than most, but there is no justice in nature. I can promise them this: They will heal, there will be more pain, and there will be moments of joy. Depending on the moments you choose to hold close, your life will feel like a great success or a miserable failure. You get to choose.

I have instructed E.J. to post my poem "My Life" on his blog at amomancer.blogspot.com. It is a poem that saw me through a period of absolute desolation in my life, a chant, a mantra to drag me from the cesspool of self-pity that one can so easily wish to drown in at those moments.

In the end, you cannot save anyone, they can only save themselves. The currency of hope you may offer is meaningless if they do not value it, but that is not a statement of who you are or what you are worth, but of their limitations.

You are a good person, worthy of joy and love and hope. I wish you nothing less than paradise, and if it is in my power and your whim to allow me to help you get there, in whatever capacity, just let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought of Jon Stewart for 30 years. Seeing the name brought back still photos. What is your image bring back? Rondalaire

Ms Peach said...

Good Morning, Poet,
Gosh! yoU sound like exactly the kind of friend I need! Is the registration closed already? If the class full, may I put my name on the waiting list?

Please let me know how to sign up for this. I feel quite stongly that if I missed this instruction and offer to improve my life, all my previous education would be for naught.

Wish I'd been lucky enough to have a friend like this years ago!

Anonymous said...

Paradise sounds good.
There's no place I'd rather be.

My personal compass sometimes steers me wrong.
How do we get there from here?

It IS in your power
and
It IS more than a whim.

How do I let you know?

It is so nice to be asked.
Thank you for being there.

I miss your voice.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved