Sunday, January 14, 2007

Re-evaluating the Muses

I sat down with the poet the other day and was working on updating my matrix of the muses. He was forthcoming, but suggested that instead of worrying so much about the details of the muses, just up to the point they may think I'm revealing their identities, I may wish to focus on their emotional and spiritual attributes.

Interesting notion, sez I.

So I made a list of the muses that seem to be the most interesting, to me and his readers, and set to analyzing his poetry for cues and clues. Here's my rundown. I limited myself to five adjectives, and they had to be non-physically descriptive. Some received negative descriptors, but remember this is from the poet's writings, and even he admits that what he writes is reactive not only to the actions and words of the people, but also to his own prejudices. I culled the really, really bad words.

ALABASTER: Innocent, standoffish, sweet, mercurial, confused.
PSYCHE: Brilliant, passionate, fierce, clever, betrayed.
VALKYRIE: Playful, responsible, defensive, angry, vengeful.
PANTHER: Confused, flirtatious, mercurial, capricious, sad.
GOLDENHEART: Gentle, dark, wistful, hopeful, sweet.
THE TRUTH: Bright, clever, curious, tempting, flighty.
BRIGIT: Dominant, conflicted, disloyal, talented, lost.
THE MAD GYPSY: Kind, passionate, questing, reserved, complicated.
LEOPARD: Needy, untamed, passive, meandering, caring.
JAZ: Passionate, independent, intense, guarded, funny.

There are other muses to work up, but I thought I'd work from this pose on a handful of the key ones, based purely on his public (and private) writings. what do you think? There were a few descriptors I had to jettison (without telling you whom they were applied to): Cruel, amoral, cowardly, promiscuous, parasitic, vicious, bitter, self-destructive, incompetent, slanderous, unforgiving, unrepentant, dishonest, pathetic, sociopathic and unworthy. I won't say who those were to (but they applied to only 5 of the 10....ouch to be them when his memoirs surface).

Hey, Jaz...liked the pajama party. I wish he'd had a camera with him.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

EJ, is it?

Fascinating post today. Good to read the real deal as opposed to technical details. Always good to get to the heart of the matter.

I've been saving a small bag of excellent peanuts for you for some time. If I knew where to send them, you'd be scarffing them down as we speak.

Send my warmest regards to the poet when you see him.

-sitting in A coffeehouse listening to cool music, drinking an almond joy, planning my next MOVE today and tomorrow. It was A pleasure to read your post this morning!
Have a really, really out of this world, far out day, now, you hear?

Anonymous said...

P.S.

So funny, some other customer set the default language to Korean and no one here knows how to fix it! I'm hitting command buttons by memory.

JKoffs said...

EJ, you might want to change Jaz's description a bit.
It should read:
JAZ:nutso, psycho, odd, weird, drunk

Thank you, and have a nice day.

-K

William F. DeVault said...

Sorry, psycho was already taken.

JKoffs said...

ok, then change psycho to Vivacious

-K

William F. DeVault said...

Nutso, vivacious, odd, weird and drunk? is she drunk right now? or just always?

JKoffs said...

I object!


~J

William F. DeVault said...

So do I, I think EJ's list should have been for Jaz:

Hot, hot, hot, charming, hot.

JKoffs said...

Get those lips off my tush

PJ PARTY!!!!!!!!

~J

JKoffs said...

I'll bring the pillows

-K

William F. DeVault said...

I'll bring the nachos and the chick flicks. Whaddaya mean "Alien" isn't a chick flick?

JKoffs said...

Yay!!!
Pillow fight!!!
Just don't tell Pillow Pants


~J

JKoffs said...

What about species?
ohhh let's watch Wild Things

~J

William F. DeVault said...

Species...maybe a bad move...I have a story about a jungle cat and the sex scene. Wild Things...might be nice, with the right company.

JKoffs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JKoffs said...

LOL, I know what you said, J. I can make apple pie if you guys want.


-K

Anonymous said...

Don't know about Jaz, but when the aliens held ME captive, they increased the sensitivity of the eyes and ears in the back of my head.

When will the podcast be up. Getting a coffee refill- picking up pizza for a bunch of little boys who're spending the night. My coffee is something like an americano with two extra shots of epresso and whip. Yum. Will be up all night. Your party sounds like a lot more fun. Wish I'd been invited.
And I make the best apple pie-sorry. Bumbleberry too.

Why is the poet bringing pillows? I heard Jaz carried them around with her at all times.

Decided on black tank top to go with polka dotted black silk PJ bottoms.

I'd like to see "when hArry met sAlly again."

Buh Bye, now. Have fun.

JKoffs said...

Oh honey sure you're invited.. how could we have a party without you?

xoxoxox

~J

William F. DeVault said...

Depends on the sort of party, eh?

JKoffs said...

K has the pie covered, but you can bring the tossed salad. I hear it's your specialty.

toodles

~J

JKoffs said...

Is this where you got your crust recipe?

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Jargon-Ernest-Matthew-Mickler/dp/0898151899/sr=8-1/qid=1168883199/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5804515-1104164?ie=UTF8&s=books

I never knew you were a cover model. Did they give you a free copy as payment?

Anonymous said...

When is this party? It isn't very clear who is bringing which items to the table. There are oh so many recipes for tossed salad. I just looked up a few on line, and well, some recipes didn't seem to be very appetizing-to me anyway.
You all should eat what you want of course, but I think I'll skip the salad, no matter who brings it, I'd rather not pick up a case of e-coli. I'd never heard of some of those recipes!

You cannot be too careful these days. I'm a little shocked, that was quite a rim shot for this blog. Lettuce continue...

Who was on the cover of the recipe book? I missed something. Were there recipes for cake made with mountain dew in the book?

About the pie? You can never have too much pie. Howver, I'm confident that mine is still the best. Unfortunately, I don't share my recipe, nor do I give out free samples. Also, I only share it with one friend at a time. I suppose I could bring tarts instead, Do you like tarts?

Oh, well, I'm fairly certain this party is already over, It kind of sucks being too busy to have fun these days. If I missed it, would you all write about it? I'm living vicariously through other people's writing these days.

Thanks. BTW-Vivacious is an excellent word, also silly and naive. But nice. very very nice.- pretty much an open book. That's what I gather anyway.

-from A complete and total outsider. Enjoy your party. I hope you have lots of wholesome delicious and nutritious fun.

`I've just bored myself to sleep. Goodnight.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved