Wednesday, January 10, 2007

goodbye, WFDV

It's not up there with the demolition of a national landmark or the death of a beloved cultural icon, but it is time to lay a legacy to rest.

wfdv@aol.com has reached the end of the road.

I took up that name, my monogram, more than a decade ago. It has seen my image, my fortunes and my careers flare and wane and flare again. It was there for many of my best and worst moments. Some of my closest frinds I met through the old AOL Writers Club, where I was a columnist and a daily presence.

Now, it is just another piece of virtual litter. I don't keep up with it, I check the mail in it every few weeks, and there is rarely anything of interest, except from the brother who hasn't figured it out that I haven't really used that account in forever.

So. The end of this month, I'm cancelling the account that once held the email accounts of myself, both ex-wives, all of my children. I'm moving on, and away. Finding new angles and angels. And getting on with it.

Someone will probably pick it up, some really deranged fan, some online predator looking to trade on that monogram. That's part of the reason I've kept it so long. But it's not really worth it anymore. I've grown up, and so has the world around me.

Time to move along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Sounds like a bold, but cleansing move on your part.

And more important than any responses you get- How do you feel about that? Hope you write about it someday.


Not to be callous, but when will we get to read more of your work?

Looking forward to hearing/reading about your latest creative efforts.

All the best from

~An ever evolving, ever revolving fAn who is not plAnning on posting again tonight, but will check back in for inspirational updates.

Twist said...

TwisterB@aol.com

Amen.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved