Sunday, January 21, 2007

all that Jaz

Crazy days and nights. Do I worry more about this or that? Do I deal with this problem or that problem? aigh.

As usual, in private discussion of my attitudes on physical attraction and the role it plays in romance, I said everything all wrong. Most people who have read my writings on the topic count me one of the more enlightened men they have met, but somehow, somehow, I just manage to make a mangle of it when I don't do the whole dog and pony show. As a writer, my goal is to be understood. When I am not, I blame myself, brutally.

I have been composing a musical spine to go with the meander of a poem, tentatively titled "bright and deadly" that I have been composing live to the blog...we shall see how that fusion works out. It is, quite honestly, the most complex bit of composition that I have done, to date.

After getting the latest anonymous gossip on Barack Obama, I decided to see if Snopes yet had a piece on it, they did, and here it is. I am so unsurprised, yet still disappointed, that people who would wear the tag of American or Christian would stoop to rumour-mongering and name-calling to win their position. What sort of lesson does this teach the kiddies?

The great debate of muse-ology erupted last night. Specifically, why does Jaz not have a totem?

My answer? Because she doesn't need one. She neither has the exposure problems of Brigt or the Panther or the one-dimensionality of many of the other muses that forced me to come up with a thematic construct to make them interesting. Jaz is interesting of her own accord. If she wants a totem, she can have one, much as Karla Sasser, the Mad Gypsy, invoked her own, but I do not need it to write mountains of magic to her charm.

I have contacted George Lies, with the MWG (Morgantown Writers Group), to see if they have any poets of thematic synchronicity and quality interested in joining me at the Valentine's Day reading at Barnes and Noble. He has responded he knows of some and will get my information out to them.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved