Saturday, January 06, 2007

a quick tour of the soundfield

I was going over the files resident at archive.org that I have recorded, and thought I should share my list of what I think are the cream:

Centaur A sweet piece of electronica, romantic and simple. Inspired by Jaz. (02:34)

Beasts of Legend A melodic arc of several pieces, "My Electric Lady", "Brisant Revelations", "Shards of Light", "Radiant Tigers", "aureate", "Pellinore, watching from across the room" and "glass roses". The build is incredible, the guitar makes the hair on the back of my neck still stand up after a hundred listenings, I put the damn thing together and admit...the drum to guitar lead-in to "Radiant Tigers" may be the best intro I'll ever do. Inspired by Psyche, the Leopard, Brigit, the Panther, The Mad Gypsy, Alisha and Abstra. Beasts of legend, you bet. (15:29)

DARFUR (Jesus Wept) Whatever your politics, if you do not accept our complicity and the necessity of Western intervention in this humanitarian crisis, you should be ashamed of yourself. (04:10)

Bragi to Freya, on his deathbed Beatnik style read with intro. A little hazy on the engineering side, but that's part of the organic nature of it. (03:11)

Kisses for Karma Despite the horns that jump out from behind the sofa at the 01:35 mark, I think it is a solid read with nice music. Plus, it is a meaningful piece to me, the eternal self-questioning when courting. (03:15)

Chrysalis From the "Pink Jade" works...a piece about an earnest lover's oath to do what is best for his intended. (01:54)

Mood Romantique Minimalist music (if a touch too loud) to a surprisingly eloquent and testosterone-laced reading of "Soubrette", "The Patchwork Skirt of My Love", "Damascus III", "From Out of the City" and "Cithara Song, strummed lightly as the sun leaps the horizon". Pieces inspired by the Leopard, the Goldenheart, the Leopard, Abstra and Alisha. (06:40)

Valentine's Day 2006: Romantic Mood A nice swirl of jazz-tinged recitation of several works: "The Unicorns", "Sacred Smile", "Monument", "Damascus III", "The Patchwork Skirt of My Love", "Tread Softly", "Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion", "We Owe Debt to Memory", "A Kiss is an Act of Bravery" and "Soubrette". Inspired by Psyche, the Leopard, Psyche, the Leopard, the Goldenheart, Psyche, Brigit, Abstra, Selke and the Leopard. (20:24)

All in all, just under an hour worth of listening. There's a few other pieces I might suggest, and a lot of the stuff I host there is podcasts, which started very raw and thus I am kinda/sorta embarrassed whn they are listened to, but ts part of this history and the mystery.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved