Sunday, December 10, 2006

passing along a note

I just got this from the big guy, he said I could reprint it here.

"My friend,

Even you may not be aware of this story, but it will, in part at least, explain
my knee-jerk reaction to the current situation regarding "Not Jaz".

Years ago I ran a BBS (Bulletin Board System) in Northern Virginia. A young
man came on the board one day, just looking around, and we struck up a
friendship, online. He also had his older brother and his sister come online,
and I became at least passingly acquainted with them all.

A "family crisis" occurred not long after that, that got I and my wife at the
time pulled into it. Then I discovered that this young man, his family, the
crisis, and identical crises that had broken out in the same form but under
different names on BBS's all over the area were the actions of one young man,
named Richard, who was a student at the University of Maryland.

I and my wife had actually had Richard over to our house at one point during
the crisis, before we discovered his game. I learned his full name and address
via a sloppily discarded letter under the car seat when I went to adjust it.
No problems occurred from that visit, but we suddenly became aware of just
how dangerous it is to let strangers in, especially those who do not wish to
reveal their real identities to you.

I have, ever since, had a very strong aversion to the identity games some sad
souls play online. When you encounter me on the web, via email or chat or
blogging, it is me, not some character I dreamt up. I demand the same from
those I let into my life.

As a result, there are few greater sins in my rulebook than identity
obscurement for malicious purpose.

In my time online, dating back two decades, I have encountered people
pretending to be long-lost friends, ex-lovers, famous writers and even
me, myself. That there are people who have that low of a self-esteem
that they cannot bear to be themselves is truth, and sad truth at that.

But then, that there are those who would kill you for a cup of coffee is
truth as well, and just as much not cause for celebration or tolerance.

I hope this help explain my current rage.

William F. DeVault"

Okay, I think that is that. I hope. Hey, don't blame me...

E.J.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved