Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Imponderable questions chapter 6852.4

I've always loved the scene in Neil Simon's classic "The Goodbye Girl" where Elliot Garfield finally gets up the momentum to make his move on Paula and she protests loudly, even as she is starting to buckle to his charm.

She moans that she doesn't want to feel this way, this good, again. There's a part of her that knows that every time she gives into feeling this happy, this warm, this incredible...she gets batted down by the fates.

Boy, and all my life I've been accused of being Elliot Garfield, when in truth I'm the Paula McFadden character. Yikes!

(By the way, anyone out there know who was used for the still shot of Tony "Love Em and Leave Em" DeForest in the 1977 version of that film? I am curious and as a trivia buff, it is making me mental.)

Well, much to do before next Thursday's party at the Book and Bean. Much. Much.

Is it lovesickness only when you are feeling bad or is it also lovesickness when you are feeling too good?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waz it Tony Danza, or arrgh, forgot his name, but the guy who played Bobby- with the longish hair also on Taxi? Now I'm having brain freeze. Thanks a lot.

For lovesickness try listening to Lime and the Coconut or Dr. Dr. Give Me the news...

Fondly,
A trivial movie/musicologist.

Anonymous said...

Or is it only lovesickness when it is unrequited love? Is it requited? I don't even want to know who Jaz is, only if this is reciprocal.
Rondalaire

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot, another good cure for lovesickness-hugging and kissing.

Marie Kwaited

Anonymous said...

Good question, Bill, about lovesickness. Psychology has gone overboard in this area. If you read some of the criteria its practitioners have established regarding "unhealthy love," you'll find the list includes symptoms like thinking about the object of one's affection constantly, the churning stomach. and butterflies in the solar plexus, symptoms that traditionally have been considered signs of being infatuated or what we call lovesickness. It seems modern-day psychiatric medicine would like to classify states of infatuation that last longer than some arbitrary length of time as a genuine mental disorder. If they continue this route, then I suppose poets will be considered crazy as they seem to suffer from lovesickness more than any other group. ~~Nordette

Anonymous said...

Okay, I honest to God learned this today in a Stress Management workshop. My little tests determined that I had a "balanced" optomistic outlook-AB personality type. Also learned that Freud was a little bit of a neurotic quack. Therefore, I can only conclude that my recent forgetfulness, distractedness, loss of appetite, inablility to sleep (I'm too excited to sleep!-Disney commercial tie-in :^)) is in fact caused by a little major stress this past year-moving,caring for an ill parent, two building rennovations, stuff like that. Oh, also, being completely and happily lovesick. I'd rather be lovesick than bored and lifesick! Having a little extra cortisol in the bloodstream is a temporary discomfort.

I also learned drinking tea before bed, reading poetry, getting good rest and deep breathing exercises are most excellent stress relievers...Frankie says RELAX!

-A Shameless (Lonely) Little Tart Tonight

William F. DeVault said...

Acutally, I have always found intense, out-of-control and sincere lovemaking that last 3-4 days at a stretch with only occasional surfacing for food and beverage and hygeine breaks is the best cure for lovesickness. Repeat once or twice a week for as long as you have breath left in your body and...voila!

Anonymous said...

Now, that was a wonderful remark.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved